old news but interesting, Michael Clayton wanted to play BBall for LSU too.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Feb 4, 2005.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I wonder why he didn't play?

BATON ROUGE, La. (CNNSI.com) –- LSU landed a local two-sport star over the weekend when Michael Clayton, SuperPrep's No. 3 receiving prospect nationally, committed to the Tigers.

"Really, I know it won't be over until February [signing date]," Clayton told The Baton Rouge Advocate. "At least now, people won't be calling to ask if I've made up my mind where to go to school. They'll know it's LSU."

The Christian Life Academy player, who became LSU's 13th commitment, said he will be allowed to play basketball under an agreement between coaches John Brady and Nick Saban.

Clayton had originally been waiting on another local prospect, friend Marcus Spears, to decide.

"I told him I wanted him to do whatever he needed to do," Clayton told The Advocate. "We're not in the same place right now. It wasn't his time."

Clayton, 6-foot-4, 210 pounds with a 4.45 40 time, was also considering Florida State.

Clayton rushed for 663 yards and passed for 338 while scoring 12 touchdowns this season. He also recorded 78 tackles and had five interceptions.

2. NWTigah

NWTigah Freshman

I believe M Spears was also highly sought after BB recruit who originally wanted to play both. Can you imagine what the BB team would have been like with both of them?

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Clayton realized after the football season that his body needed time to recooperate. He never practiced with the team if my memory serves me right.

Spears practiced with the team and even played a couple games but I believe his body began to break down and he quit.

It's a very heavy load for an 18 year old to play both. These were among best athletes that LSU has had and they couldn't handle it.

4. lsujay

lsujay Founding Member

Spears never played either... You may be thinking about Robert Royal who played a little basketball, but gave it up after a few games.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

You're right. Royal tried and quit.