On to Auburn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Auburn is coming off a heartbreaking 30-23 overtime loss to Florida on the road. Adding insult to injury (or the other way around to be exact), the Tigers lost star running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams for the season with a broken leg. This is certainly a bad blow to the team, and I sincerely hope Williams has a speedy recovery and returns to the field.

His replacement, Ronnie Brown, rushed for 163 yards and three touchdowns, one on a 54 yard reception. He also had a two point conversion. In other words, he scored 20 of Auburn's 23 points and had over 200 yards of total offense. So I don't think we need to go into this game thinking Auburn has no running game without Williams. They do. Just like we have a passing game even without Mauck.

I noticed in the stats that Daniel Cobb and Jason Campbell are still splitting time at quarterback. We can play this to our advantage. Whoever starts the game, our defense needs to completely shut them down. Then, whenever Tuberville gets itchy and puts the other in, we need to blitz them and catch them in a buzzsaw, pressing the advantage right there to blow the game open.

Auburn is also suspect in passing defense. We might be able to throw the ball more than we have in the past in this game. If we keep the game plan simple for Marcus Randall, he will be able to hit some receivers in the open, mostly on rollout plays. I don't think there is any harm in letting him pass from the pocket a few times. If it doesn't work, don't do it anymore. If it does, all the better for us.

We can't get cocky. Let's play one game at a time, and make sure we control our own destiny at the end of this season.

GEAUX TIGERS!! The LSU ones, that is.

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Sorry to hear about Williams. He had alot of talent. LSU fans know all to well about losing key players.

3. autigers00

autigers00 Freshman

I'm an Auburn graduate and fan but I think that LSU will beat us this Saturday.

LSU is a team that keeps improving week in and week out. I was very impressed with the game that they played against South Carolina this past weekend. After the first quarter, they looked very solid offensively, defensively, and on special teams.

The only way that my Auburn Tigers can win this game is by playing the full sixty minutes. However, even if we do play the full sixty minutes I still think that LSU has the coaching advantage over us. I think that we are all in concurrence on the fact that Nick Saban is a much better coach than Tommy Tuberville.

The way I see it, the only real advantage that we have over LSU is the home field. I think that difference will be enough to keep the game close but I still think that LSU will win in the end.

LSU - 20
    AU - 17

I'm still a die hard Auburn fan but your Tigers have really impressed me this season. There's no shame in losing to a more talented and better coached football team.

Have fun in Auburn guys.

War Eagle!

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Auburn is a scary team. They are sort of pinned and this game will really define their season. They are going to fight with all they have. PLus lets be honest the bad blood between LSU and Auburn has seemed to finally calm down but it is still there.

I really really wish Carnell had not gotten hurt. I really enjoy watching him play. He is a fantastic player.

Auburn is not a bad football team. No team in the SEC is bad in my opinion (Aside from Vandy and possibly MSU)

I dont think LSU is going to get another 30 something to 7-14 blowout. Auburn is a team of fighters.
    We should win this game on Defense alone. Cadillac was a star on that team, without him they are a different team.

Now we all know we dont like their coach. So lets not rehash all that this week. It has gotten old.

What I am upset about is this darn JP putting us on at 11:30. Good night how many morning games are we going to have this year....

Geaux Tigers (the LSU ones)

5. ronbono

ronbono Founding Member

Yes Tigers lets not get cocky like UF.

6. chuck

chuck Founding Member

My take . .

1st off . .nice game this weekend . for obvious reasons, I didn't watch most of it . but I was impressed with the way your team fought back and the team is definitely clicking.

I'm personally sick to my stomach thinking of our game . . I XP +6 yards kept us from winning that game. I think in the first half, Florida looked sharper than they have in any game with the exception of the UT game as the came out with a completely different strategy running 80's era 49ers like quick outs and quick slants. I was pleased to see our Defense make adjustments and shut most of that down towards the end of the game.

I'm still not sure where the views that we are weak against the pass come from. I believe we are 6th or 7th in the SEC (and that includes games vs. passing teams like Southern Cal and Florida - of couse Arky didn't NEED to pass) and we are 3rd in the SEC with 11 INT's.

My myopia and desire just to see my Tigers do something good leads me to believe we will win. On paper it will come down to HOW Saban tries to run against us. If he takes advantage of our agressive stlye of D and runs coutners and draws, I think you guys will kill us. If he tries to overpower us with straight runs and toss sweeps, it will keep us in the game. I passing QB's we have had trouble with (Carson Palmer and Rex Grossman) are two of the best in the business, so this will be a fantastic test for Randall on his passing ability.

I am concerned more about our offense. Ronnie Brown looked fantastic, and will take advantage of holes, i am just not convince our O-line will make any. Carnell can make things happen without a hole . not sure about Ronnine though . . but he's a great back and deserves Auburn's full support.

If Cobb starts, I think the Auburn faithful will rush the field and kill Tubby. . no seriously, Cobb just better not start. I don't care how limited the offense is with Campbell, it just performs better. He is a lot more confident.

I predict a low scoring game that hopefully doesn't come down to a 26 yard field goal straight down the middle :(

Good luck this week and for you travellers, have a safe stay in the Loveliest Village . .

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Wow. I must have missed something. One of the most leveled headed Auburn fans I have had the pleasure of "chatting" with is upset with Cobb ??

What is up with Cobb, sounds like he has fallen out of the good graces of the Auburn Faithful...

OF course we missed all of the Auburn game. I guess the Ark Game did not help his cause.

8. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

Not being boastful - I expect a blowout.

Are my expectations too high???

Perhaps, but... Auburn is unraveling like they did last year. Sorry to see that happen to anyone, esp. teams with talent, but we as LSU fans have been down that road with Gerry D.

LSU has superior talent and superior coaching. When those two things work in your favor - you get superior results. The onslaught will continue. We take the mo generated in the second half of the SC game and completely obliterate AU. Why? Because AU is a hated rival of our LSU players - they'll be fired up - no first half sleepwalking. How? Our coach is better and will have our team focused, our players are better than their players.

I was sad to see Cadillac go down, really. That guy was so good and so fun to watch. I was looking forward to getting AU at their best and stuffing them. Unfortunately that will not happen. It's always sobering to see a young man with such promise and heart get hurt. Hope he is back for a trip to DV next year.

"There - the crevasse - fill it!!" J. Black

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Did Tubby really make the remark about Campbell can only run a high school oriented offense? Is this just chat room rumor or is there an actual link someone can provide me with? In the text that I saw the (alleged) quote, it sounded like Tubby was defending his decision to play Cobb by belittling Campbell. Is this what happened?

10. chuck

chuck Founding Member

a few comments

I would argue that LSU has "superior talent" than Auburn. I think there are positions that I would take on both squads. I think LSU is much better coached than Auburn at this time. And I think LSU is much more experienced. And believe me, the rival thing goes both ways with our players.

The offense just doesn't run under Cobb. He over and underthrows wide open receivers at a horribly scary pace. Its almost sad to watch. I really hate it for the kid, but there comes a time that you just have to perform. Campbell has looked very sharp, and the offense is performing under him.

As far as the Tubby comment with Campbell, it occured after the Arkansas game, and it is factual, although I'm not sure where you can get a link. However, he didn't say it quite as harsh as it sounds, but I can't remember the exact words. Regardless, it was a completely inappropriate thing to say and it bugged the heck out of me.