On to other business... Crowton.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jan 11, 2011.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Will he be retained for next year? What is Miles' feelings about him? I believe that Miles thinks Crowton is great and the Michigan Fiasco gave Miles the leverage to ensure that Crowton would stay. Anyone have any opinions?

(I know there are threads about this, but this thread is Post-Michigan.)

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I believe he will be retained. And to be honest with you, I really don't care at this point. We all know Gary Crowton CAN run an offense, the question is will he. I think he gets at least 1 more season to right the ship.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

My biggest concern isn't so much about playcalling but instead about his ability to coach the QB position.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Unless there is a better position offered to Crowton somewhere else he isn't going anywhere. One of Les' terms was higher $$ for assistants. He isn't going to fire one now.

5. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I feel like we know what to expect from Jefferson now. He seems to have mastered the option and has improved as a runner. If he can stay confident as a passer I believe our offense will be unstoppable. I have more question marks about our D after losing some key playesr.

1 person likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree, it's all on our running game. If we can get push from our offensive line, and get chunks of yards pounding the football, Jordan Jefferson will be able to throw the ball effectively.

7. Big Tiger

Big Tiger They don't call me "Big" for nuttin

He'll be here and so will Mett. We gone to the ship next year boys!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think that we will be OK with Mettenberger and a non-coddled Jefferson. The offensive turnaround in the last quarter of the season proved to me that it was simply a matter of overly conservative game-planning.

9. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I'm hoping that this season was an eye-opener for Miles and Crowton and the way the offense was run. It seems to me that it was, because we saw a completely different output in the bowl game. One big difference I noticed was that once we got a comfortable lead, we didn't sit on it and continued to drive down the field. Hopefully that is a mentality that we keep with us into next season.

Additionally, I read some comments from Crowton that JJ has finally "gotten it" and realized that if he wants to be a successful QB, he needs to put in much more time during the week than just showing up to practice. Judging by his play in the bowl game, he did exactly that. I saw a completely different QB in that game. Either he's finally gotten it or he knows that his job is in jeopardy come Spring time.

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

I agree with this, and the fact that perhaps JJ now "gets it," as other posters have stated. Crowton was successful with an excellent QB in Matt Flynn at the helm, I see no reason why he cannot be successful with either a confident and seasoned JJ, or with the as-advertised stud Mettenberger.

I know that folks will still point to Crowton's track record (e.g., gangbusters early in his tenure, then a decline); however, what did he have to work with QB-wise at those other schools after the initial success?

:geauxtige