On to other business... Crowton.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jan 11, 2011.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If I do that, it proves I have a...wait for it...AGENDA (gasp!)

2. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I just don't think JJ is a pocket passer. He is way more comfortable moving around. I think in the pocket he feels like a caged cat and cannot focus on the task at hand. Its like trying to make a southpaw switch his boxing style. When he moves he looks better running and throwing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if Miles and Cam Cameron have something working it won't be until the playoffs are over until something comes out since the Ravens are still playing. Knowing Les it gives him time to find Crouton something else and slide Cam in at the last minute.

We all know he has Jedi clock skills.:milesmic::lol:

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think JJ can be a pocket passer when the defense is focused on the run. When we are able to get big chunks on the ground it opens up holes in the defense for the passing game. And JJ is able to take advantage.

4. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Maybe LaSalle but it seems to me in the pocket he is more focused on the pressure a few yards in front of him than looking downfield for the open man. In the Cotton he sure did not seem to have that problem because he was holding on til the last minute and getting hit pretty good, but he made some beautiful plays. It may very well be the running game was the factor for that.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He does still hold on to the ball too long. A&M wasn't getting much of a pass rush, but had they, we may have seen a different Jordan Jefferson.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Which is what still concerns me about Jefferson and Crowton's coaching. After 3 years it seems like they're finally teaching him what they should have from Day 1: look for the primary receiver, and make one quick checkdown. If those guys aren't open, take off downfield.

In games where the O-line has gotten blown up at the LOS, Jefferson has simply not been effective in the passing game. When a game comes down to power on power, or if LSU is at a disadvantage in the trenches or blocking, I'm still not convinced Jefferson is the guy to move the offense and make those big plays. I hope Mett gets a fair shot at the starting job in the spring, but I have a feeling we're going to hear a lot of things like "Mett has potential, but just doesn't have the system down yet."

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If JJ could play like this every game, I wouldn't have a problem with our offense. Seeing the defense get repeatedly gashed, on the other hand, really bothered me. If we can get solid play from both sides of the ball, watch out.

8. phi1514

phi1514 Founding Member

We all have short memories guys...Yea we performed better in the Cotton Bowl, but Gary's play calling was awful in nearly every game. He needs to be on the quickest train out of BR and get someone in here that can 1) Develop a QB and 2) Utilize the talent he has to attack the defense. We did rush for 200+ yds in the Cotton Bowl but 10/19 passing is nothing to write home about last time I checked...JJ just actually managed to throw a TD pass for once in a change (novel concept for a QB). And Gary...quit running the short side of the field option...PLEASE!!! Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but Gary Crowton is an d*mn anchor holding this offense back.

TOOOOOOOOO much talent to be at the bottom of the NCAA offensive rankings three years running. Our defense cannot bail us out every single game and we will start losing stud offensive recruits if we keep putting up pitiful offensive stats.

The defensive play calling was broken and we replaced Peveto and Mallory with Chavis. The results speak for themselves. Time for Gary to move on.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I agree that Crowton hasn't been effective at developing QB. I'd hope we get him some help with that if we aren't going to find a new OC. I'm almost as worried about our defense, now, though. A lot of people here feel like it was injuries that hurt our D production, but I wasn't impressed as we finished off the year. Our D could actually lose some games for us the way they've been playing. In fact, I think they did.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

My only hope for our O of 2011 is a true balanced attack.

I want a strong run game next to a strong passing attack.

For D, It is about damn time we had just a sick nasty D line. I really hope some leaders step up here.

Overall, this team needs some true leaders on both sides. Some may not put stock in this, but come those close games, these "leaders" hot **** together and get the team a win...