One group's draft ratings by position

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by VATigahfan, Jan 30, 2004.

1. VATigahfan

VATigahfan Freshman

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Looking at this makes me kind of skeptical. All of the top receivers have 40 times in the 4.5s but Kellen Winslow a TE has a listed time of 4.45. Makes me very interested in what they run at the combine.

Reminds me of last year when Hookfin ran like a 4.8 in a workout at LSU. No wonder he was always getting burned. :D

3. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

Henderson runs a 4.37?? :shock: :shock:

4. jeffoxiam

jeffoxiam Founding Member

I guess winslow built up that 40 time while he was at boot camp becoming a soldier. What a worthless pos.

5. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

If there is a QB who might surprise some people, I think it is Jared Lorenzen. I know he has a tendency to put on weight, but he is a better athlete than you might think.

I am also well aware that he did not have a very good senior season. Let's face facts: Kentucky was a lousy team. It is often amazing how much better QBs play when the players around him get better.

Lorenzen is tough and in several games I saw over his career he appeared to have a very good touch on deep passes. Most long passes fall incomplete because the QB misses the pass. How often do you hear the phrase, "he had a step on the DB, but the pass was a little long?"

A QB who can hit deep passes consistently will put the scare into any defensive backfield. I think Lorenzen will make it on Sunday.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Look for Lorenzen to lose a ton of weight in the NFL. He wont be the big star on campus and the coaches will not let him slide in the weight room. Also any NFL conditioning program and coaches will be a step up from Kentucky. He has a ton of talent, with a really good conditioning program and a little talent around him(Kentucky had none) he could play at the next level. A lot depends on his heart and desire to play NFL ball because he does have a lot of work to do as far as conditioning goes.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I'm probably in the minority when I say this but I don't think Larry Fitzgerald will be much in the NFL. I am a big fan of the guy but think he is a proto-typical college guy.

IMO, his lack of speed is going to kill him, assuming the times you see are correct. Great hands alone can get you by in college. But in the pros if you can't get separation from a DB you are in trouble. That can be offset somewhat if you have good size, which I find hard to believe he is that big (6'3" 220). In college that size would tower over most DBs and I can't recall him standing out size-wise over DBs in college.

I hope he proves me wrong b/c the guy has some of the best hands in a long time. And also appears to be one helluva character guy based on some of the interviews I've heard/seen with him.

On the other hand, I just have a feeling that Devery is going to surprise some people in the NFL. His speed is amazing and he really has developed his WR skills and is continuing to get better.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I gotta disagree with you Hub. This guy has a talent to find the ball, even in a crowd of defenders. I think he probably won't have a Randy Moss type rookie year, but three or four years down the road, watch out....I think it will help if he gets drafted by the Raiders and Jerry Rice can somewhat Tutor him.

9. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

I think you may be right. A lot of college teams do not have good cornerbacks, and some of these "super" WRs make themselves look good taking advantage of it. A lot of college teams also don't have pure pass rushers either.

As much as I loved watching Josh Reed at LSU, his lack of speed has made him look very ordinary at Buffalo.

It is always easier in college to find a good WR than it is to find a good cover guy, but in the NFL, most teams have guys who can cover. And if you don't have the speed at WR, not much else matters.

Two good examples of this are J J Stokes and even Keyshawn Johnson. Both looked super human in college, but in the NFL Stokes is a journeyman, and Keyshawn is just a good possession receiver with a big mouth.