One more reason to kill the ACLU

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If you look closely at the picture below, you will note that all the Marines pictured are bowing their heads. That's because they're praying.

This incident took place at a recent ceremony honoring the birthday of the corps, and it has the ACLU up in arms. "These are federal employees," says Lucius Traveler, a spokesman for the ACLU, "on federal property and on federal time. For them to pray is clearly an establishment of religion, and we must nip this in the bud immediately."

When asked about the ACLU's charges, Colonel Jack Fessender, speaking for the Commandant of the Corps said (cleaned up a bit), "Screw the ACLU." GOD Bless Our Warriors; send the ACLU to France.

May God Bless America, One Nation Under GOD!

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I guess it's going to come as quite a shock to the Chaplain Corps of the various armed service branches that the ACLU doesn't want them to do their jobs, huh?

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in Army Basic Training, attendance at the worship service of your choice (I'm Roman Catholic, myself) was actually ENCOURAGED by our Drill Sergeants and officers...and they would give us time off on Sundays to do so. Wonder what the ACLU would make of that?

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

5. SabanFan

Maybe the ACLU is lying. I choose to think so. I believe that is something they would do, therefore I will accept is as truth.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am unable to tell if you are serious.

all i am saying is that you might want to be more vigilant with spreading email forwards as truth, when i have shown you multiple times how urban legends prey on people's fears and beliefs to spread via email.

i have mixed feelings about the aclu, sometimes they sound ok, other times they sound terrible. but unless we are idiots we should immediately discount this story as a cheap lie.

our case against the aclu isnt so weak that we need to build straw men to knock down.

stories like these are irresponsible, and spreading them is unfair and intellectually dishonest. there is some person out there, who loves urban legends and makes them up to see how far they spread and laughs as people like you get fired up over them. the joke is on you.

7. SabanFan

Damn. I knew I should have put the Martinization Disclaimer in there.
    I have been indoctrinated since youth to believe that the ACLU is a communist organization whose sole aim is to destroy the USA. Perhaps, in truth, it is just a figment of my imagination. Smoke and mirrors, if you will. Maybe it's just magic. Wizards of liberalism. Maybe if I had been born a liberal, I would believe in the ACLU. Maybe, belief in the ACLU is just an accident of birth. If I had been born in Israel would I believe in the JCLU? I don't know.
    And, please get off your high horse about passing on internet urban legends. Even if false, and I'm not admitting it was, they are always funny and/or thought provoking. Maybe your urban legend website is just a bunch of liars, infiltrated by ACLU lawyers.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

look, if you want to spread false stories as true, i guess that is your business. i will tell you my opinion.

my opinion is that credibility counts.

you cant just tell the somebody (in this case, the ACLU) where they stand on a particular issue, then label that stance as that ridiculous, if they never held that position, and never claimed to.

plain and simple, that is lying. lies that you spread as true. i dunno how that can be considered anything but wildly irresponsible. and you cant even claim to be ignorant any more, because i have shown you that your claims are untrue.

you tell me to get off my high horse about urban legends. but you are not posting this as a legend, with no disclaimers, no source. you are telling us things that arent true. you are spreading lies.

thats my opinion. continue spreading lies if you must. stir up the people who agree with your view, at the expense of truth. its your credibility, not mine.

i would agree with the point of your post, that the ACLU was being stupid, but it since the story is a lie, i wont hold it against the ACLU. i suppose you like to believe lies and hold them against people, provided they are your enemies.

9. SabanFan

Knock it off, Martin. This is not the New York Times. I neglected to put in my disclaimer. From now on, assume it's there.
    You are pontificating about the evils of spreading lies while you constantly preach to a majority of God Fearing people that their God is a joke. You, of all people, should be tolerant of mistruths.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didnt say spreading lies is evil. in fact if you want to do it i encourage you to. especially if it furthers your political agenda. you even made gman believe it. nice work.

my opinions on god are just that, opinion. i think your god is a joke, i cant prove it. i wont post a story with false claims to back up my opinion.