One more reason to kill the ACLU

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Why don't you check your urban legend site to see what it says about God.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

this thread isnt about my thoughts on religion.

i am making one point, and one point only:

you are irresponsible with the truth in a way that favors your personal political agenda, and seemingly refuse to acknowledge it.

3. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

I forward all of my emails because if I don't, that 9 year old child with cancer will surely die. If I do forward them, he will recover. I also have been awarded, so far, 332.6 billion dollars in Nigerian and Australlian monies that have been sitting in a bank waiting for me to come get them. I have been working so I haven't been able to go yet.

I've found the love of my life 33 times in the last 2 months thanks to the fact that I forwarded certain email. On the other hand, I've also suffered considerable losses because I failed to forward certain email. It's really a crap shoot with what gets sent to me.

4. SabanFan

Kinda like Kerry and the entire Democratic Party.

5. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

Eh, you could just as easily huff and puff and say "Screw God"; its all relative.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course. i have never voted for a democrat, and i am a registerered republican. i am a strong supporter of bush. none of this makes your spreading of lies any less irresponsible. just because others spread lies, doesnt mean you don't. your status as a lie-spreader remains unaffected.

7. SabanFan

Don't.......Read.......Them!

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am not complaining. i am entertained, watching you refuse to ever admit that you post lies as truth. like i said before, i guess you dont care about what is true, provided it fits your political agenda. i find that amusing.

9. SabanFan

OK. My last word. I never said it was true. I passed it along. Normally, to avoid your rant, I will post my disclaimer, unfortunately, this time, much to my chagrin, I left it out. Now you just won't shut up about it.

RETROACTIVE MARTINIZED DISCLAIMER:
    I cannot vouch for the veracity of the following post. I am merely passing it on for what it's worth. If it turns out to be an urban legend, deal with it and quit acting like I killed one of your kids.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i will help you out a bit.

not only can sabanfan not vouch for the truth of his story, it is a lie. it will leave you misinformed and misled. posting it without a disclaimer is irresponsible, because people will believe it unfairly hold it against the organization that was lied about. it is intellectual dishonesty.

when taking political stances, people like to lie about the other side in order to mobilize negative thinking about the opposition. it is a cheap and dishonest way to have discourse. it might be smart to ackowledge that story is clearly false, and that all the conlusion anyone based on the story are all unfounded. however, to do that sabanfan would need to acknowledge that he has been fooled by an email forward, and sabanfan seems unwilling to do that.

you say that as if people are never expected to be saying something true unless they explicitly preface their statement with "the following is true". seems like a very unfortunate way to communicate, to not be considered honest unless explicitly stating that you are honest in situations where you choose to tell the truth.

but like i said before, spreading lies about your enemies is not a bad way to help your cause, if you can slip the lies past everyone without them noticing. good luck next time.