One of the few basketball posts I'll make...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

I said the same thing two weeks ago.......

If the team is so f'en bad in half-court, especially against zones, hell let them use some athletic ability and push the ball. Hell, no....Brady gets them in this slowdown half-court stuff that he's got to know they can't play. With a team like ours that can't shoot but has guys that can drive and slash, you have to run.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

SabanFan I think you are within your right to have your opinion but others can also have theirs. When I complain about Brady ii isn't an opinion based on this team or on his overall record at LSU. It is about the the direction of the program and where it is headed as well as my opinion of him as the leader of this program. While I do not enjoy watching the team play as I have seen much better ball played at the high school level this season it isn't only about that but also about the way he carries himself, the fact that he cannot seem to keep his recruits, the way he acts on and off the court, the fact that he can't get fan support(to me it's up to the leader of the program to build up the excitement, not the fans), the fact that the PMAC is half full/empty for most games, the fact that he keeps scheduling horrible teams OOC with maybe one good team on it per year in order to make our record better. Everyone, even his detractors, say that he is a great recruiter, but I think the jury is still out on that as Bass is a good one but Regis and Tack haven't proven anything yet so we will see. regis ia a good athlete but hasn't shown an ability to shot a lick. Tack was not rated high at all by most evaluators till very late in the recruiting process, raising his stock in all starr games and most of them seemed to say that he was coming on late, maybe he is a slow learner, we already know that he was a head case in high school.

I do not judge him on this due to the probation and will wait a couple of years to evaluate his recruiting. Like in football, LA produces an extra-ordinary amount of talent every year and we are the flagship University for the state so we should be getting our picks of the litter. There a a lot of great LA players spread out around the country this season. To me a great recruiter will bring in a GREAT class every year and we will have to see if he can to that. I know he has been severly handicapped in the past however basketball is a very easy program to raise from the ashes, unlike football and baseball where you have much larger rosters.

I've been silent for his entire tenure and have not uttered one word about my opinions of him till this season. I won't utter anymore the rest of this season unless it is a positive comment if I feel that the team is showing improvement or unless he does something very foolish in public. I live 450 miles away so I cannot make many games however I still make some and will continue to make some in the future no matter what happens. I also go to raod games when they make their way out east.

I would love to have to eat crow and have Brady prove to me that he is a good leader of this program, that he can have a good public personna and that he can eventually fill the PMAC every game. I do not expect us to be playing for a NC or even make the sweet 16 every year but I do have higher expectations than what I am seeing at this point, being one of the 65 teams teams to make the NCAA's is not a goal. The goal should be to have a great coach, not a good one, that can elevate the program to the top of the SEC just like Donavan has done at Florida. Someone posted earlier on this thread how hard it is to have top 25 programs in basketball and football, I say hogwash and we shouldn't aspire to be like the programs that don't, we should aspire to be like the programs that do.

3. RCD IV

RCD IV Founding Member

Brady did an admirable job under probation. A trip to the sweet 16 was unimaginable. His recruiting class last year was ranked among the best. Next year's class will be as good.

In my opinion, this is the first year of real Brady Ball. He should be judged from this point forward. 'nuff said.

Kool-aid drinker.

4. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Living 900 miles away, as I do, I am not privvy to what John Brady's off-court issues are. Nor do I know much about the character issues with some of his players.

If we are looking for shining examples of a coach who recruits high-character players, I'm not sure Billy Donovan is the man to point to. I saw the Marshall teams he recruited and coached and if you added up the GPAs of those guys you MIGHT have a 2.0. Of course his star player there was Jason Williams, who came with him from Providence and who went with him to Florida ... 'nuff said.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I never included you, cajdav, in the Brady Bashers Bunch. I even stated that in one post. I think some here are unreasonable in their criticisms of Brady and I will continue to defend him until he's no longer the coach. I think he's a good coach who has done a good job since he's been here. He recruits well and that's the cornerstone of a successful program. Defense wins championships and this team plays excellent defense. We have 3 freshmen starting and some here expect them to play like seasoned Juniors. Let this team find it's offensive identity.

6. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

gimme a break...you're probably the same guy who was calling for Smoke's head after being swept by Kansas and losing 2 outta 3 to lbstate

probably the same guy who was calling for saban's head after the UAB loss

probably the same guy who is calling for Brady's head for being 4-3 in the SEC and 14-4 overall after the 1st full year with no scholarship restrictions and a #1 recruiting class in the nation

...oh wait

7. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

2 freshmen start and 1 gets about 20 minutes a game (Minor).

starting 5:
    whipple (jr)
    lloreda (sr)
    Bass (Fr)
    Koundjia (fr)
    Mitchell (soph)

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I have said it before, I will say it again, I will withhold judgement on Brady till the end of the season. I like where we are right now (we could be in a lot better position, but we could be a lot worse, too) but the MEAT of the schedule is coming up. If Brady and this team can show me something in these final nine games and the SEC Tournament, I'll be impressed. If he falls flat on his face, well, I won't be. I'm taking a wait-n-see attitude.

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

TE you are sadly mistaken. For you to say that Billy Donovan is awesome and has his program going in the right direction, while Brady is driveling in mediocracy is ignoring the facts.

Since Groundhog Day last year, LSU (lead by head coach John Brady) has gone 13-6. Over the same time period, Florida, the program on the rise and shooting for the stars has gone 8-8.

Let me say that again because I think it is pretty important. LSU is 13-6. Florida is 8-8.

Which would you rather have? 13-6 or 8-8?

Plus, the last time these teams played each other, LSU won.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i'm the one that posted it is very difficult to have a top program in both football and basketball. it's obviously true. i didnt say we should not try to have one of the best basketball programs because we should try, and we are trying. but clearly there is some reason why its difficult to be great in both. i dont know what it is, but do you really think that lsu is not trying to have a great bball program because it hasnt fired brady yet? should bertman start telling him how to coach?---"take TEs advice and run the floor brady or your fired! dont forget, john, nolan is available. he would run the floor, play exciting basketball, and lsu would be no. 1" come on, is it really that easy. are there not 100 other programs that are trying to be no 1?

ok, now real discussions. i dont think brady has anything against pushing the ball (at least he has said so). one reason he doesnt is because it kinda goes against his defensive philosophy. we all know he loves to double the post when they get the ball. you may not like it but it works well and i think he's gotten some respect from other coaches because of it (sounded that way when fogler gave color for the last bama game). anyway, it seems to make it more difficult to shoot the passing lanes and get steals that lead to quick buckets. its hard to fastbreak off of anything other than backcourt turnovers. i think if he would force a fast pace on offense then there would be 30 turnovers a game and lloreda (and probably bass) would be underutilized.

anyone else notice that the gators (with the best coach in the country and the best players in the country) went 6:00 AT THE END OF THE GAME without scoring? there is damn good D played in this conference!