One of the few basketball posts I'll make...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 3, 2004.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

And I never said we had to be number one, just want us to aspire to be the best and not be satisfied with a tourney appearance and such. I'll give Brady his do on defense and I'll wait to see if the offense gets better, hopefully it will. And if we do have a good season I will acknowledge it, but a good season isn't just wins and losses it is learning how to play the game and competing with the big boys. Hopefully we will be.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i agree. hopefully he will continue to recruit well so we will win consistently. but i am worried that he will play with the current style regardless of personnel.

3. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

notice TE can't defense any of our points

MikeD does make a great point....Since Groundhog's Day we've been great in SEC play including a 6-game win streak which is impressive for any SEC team including kentucky or dare I say Florida

Florida is 4-4 in league this year...with all the talent they have they should be 7-1

4. BB

BB Founding Member

I'm a little unclear about the relevance of Florida's 2004 record in a comparison of the 2 programs. Look at what matters - NCAA Tournament bids, NCAA Tournament wins, Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and Final 4 appearances. As the old saying goes - the proof is in the pudding.

5. LSUstudent

this is Brady's FIRST year without any probation restrictions

meanwhile, Donnavan has had no restrictions the past 6 years when he's went to final 4s and had some success

well, despite LSU having less talent than Florida, LSU's SEC record is still better

also, this proves that even the best coaches are going to struggle...even Coach K at Duke was horrible his first 5 years...i'm not saying Coach Brady is at Coach's K's level...just saying to give the guy some time...this year should be the first year anyone judge's Brady as a coach

in fact, ppl should at least wait until next year to see what he do with a more mature team

6. BB

BB Founding Member

I agree with much of what you are saying. As I stated in earlier posts, even if we all agreed to evaluate Brady and his abilities as a leader after the season, what do we want him to accomplish? I understand the probation period, I know zone defenses are tough - I know these things and I've heard the excuses / reasons for our inability to play to our full potential. What do you expect from him in terms of performance at the end of the year? That is all I want to know.

7. LSUstudent

Given our situation...3 freshman getting signfiicant PT, and 1 strong all-american type player

I expect us to make the tournament and win at least 1 game...those are my current expectations

then next year i expect better

then the year after that I want at least elite 8

bass (if NBA doesn't come calling), minor, d.mitchell, davis (again, assuming no NBA), and tas. mitchell the starting 5 with Koundjia coming off the bench

8. BB

BB Founding Member

The potential is exciting!

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Defending my points, eh?

What does a combined record for two seasons matter? The only records that count are last years record, and then this year's current record.

You can't win a national title by combining wins from one season and the last...Never have, never will....You can't win a conference title, or even a conference division title...

You also can't say that they're playing good over that stretch because LSU finished VERY strong last year on the backs of a solid core of VETERAN players...NONE OF WHICH CAN CONTRIBUTE ON THIS TEAM...

Combined records over the last two years...Gimme a break...

Donavan's played for a national title at UF...He's got WAY more success at UF than Brady has had...and has actually won more games in his tenure than in the previous HISTORY of the school!

A program devoid of tradition but flush with money and initative...They hire the best...

Another telling statement was when someone said that, "Brady's not on Coach K's level,"...

Why don't we go out and hire a coach who IS on his level? Why settle? I again ask the question...Why reserve judgement on a coach who continually puts himself into a bad situation by fluffing his way through an early non-conference creampuff schedule to get a gaudy record, then falls FLAT on his face because of a lack of competition in the early going of the SEC, and then has to rally the troops for a late season push, all just to be a "bubble team" come tournament time?

Why are we satisfied with a coach who brings us a .500 or below record each year in conference? Why do we sing hallelujah and throw roses in the path of a man who has to will a team to late season wins in a conference tournament to get the NCAA bid?

Why?

10. BB

BB Founding Member

"WE" ARE NOT SATISFIED.