One of the few basketball posts I'll make...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 3, 2004.

1. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

"Why don't we go out and hire a coach who IS on his level? Why settle"

Who says Coach Brady won't be on his level eventually. You can't deny the facts that Coach K sucked after his first 5 years at Duke, and that was WITH FULL SCHOLARSHIPS!!!!!!!

You didn't seriously expect any LSU coach to come in and take LSU to the final 4 on probation.

This is the first year since we've had all of our scholarships, so is it reasonable to expect ANY LSU bball coach for LSU to make the final four in 3 years.

YES! and John Brady has the potential to do this.

2. LSUstudent

speaking of LSU basketball, we scored 38 points in the 1st half against a solid UT club who barely lost to Louisville, took Kentucky to OT, and beat top 25 Vanderbilt & Florida

...up by 4 at the half

Geaux Tigers

3. LSUstudent

"fluffing his way through an early non-conference creampuff schedule"

eh, our RPI was #18 in the nation after our "creampuff" schedule

i wouldn't call that too shabby myself

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

LSUstudent...I am not the only one who heard this staff, and Brady in particular, make mention that they could take this team to the Final Four in their fourth year...There are media members out there who heard this opinion too...What about it? Where is it now? Where is that optimism?

You can say what you want, but I don't want a coach we have to wait on to "blossom" into his position...I want a guy like the one that Louisville hired...

I want a guy like the one Kansas hired...

I want a guy like the one Kentucky hired...

I want a guy like the one North Carolina hired...

Bill Self, Tubby Smith, Roy Williams, Pitino...

It's like saying, "Who are the top coaches in college basketball?"

It's like saying, "Saban, Stoops, Bowden, Richt, Carroll..."

It's like saying, "Who are the top coaches in college football?"

You go out and hire the best...You hire the best coach you can find...and no one will argue with that mentality...

Why are we not doing this? Why is an NCAA bid worth giving a five year extension to a coach for? A first round flameout? Hey, let's give you a big bonus, baby!

5. BB

BB Founding Member

So, because Coach K wasn't exceptional his first 5 years, because John Brady has "potential", because we were on probation and because we are leading UT at the half we should have a parade? If we beat UT, maybe we should give Brady a lifetime contract since he has potential and since Duke did it for Coach K.

6. LSUstudent

Ok, assuming I agree with your argument...big assumption here though

Why would any coach such as Tubby Smith, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino want to come to a school where basketball is the 3rd tier sport, the fan support sucks, the PMAC is one of the worst basketball arenas in D-1 college, and do you really think LSU can afford a coach such as Rick Pitino when we pay Saban millions a year?

7. LSUstudent

all i'm telling you are the facts...i didn't say hire brady to a lifelong contract...i've stated my expectations and if we don't meet those within the next 3 years then i want him fired too

you guys are the same way Duke was when Coach K first started...they wanted his ass gone!

how do you think they feel now?

8. BB

BB Founding Member

I think they likely feel sore from all that jumping up and down.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Trust me when I say this...I'm over complaining about him...I'm doing this more to guage the opinions over Brady than I am voicing my frustration...

I'd been on the Lair doing this since early 2000...and here ever since I got "da boot" over there for my "phantom transgressions" because I didn't like the TAF and the "goatee mafia" got their Hanes Her Way's in a twist...

I have not been a fan of this guy since the 1999 season...and hard to believe, the run to the Sweet 16, and everything that happened surrounding that team-his best yet to date-is what made me cement my opinion of him...

I was told at a Bash by some very good sources about his off the court transgressions, and have had them verified by multiple other sources that both I and you all trust and know on this site...It was merely another brick in the wall for me...

I've been complaining for going on five years...I'm over getting all red in the face about it...I promise you that...

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Final Four in their fourth year?

Was that on the day that he was hired? Was that when we had no idea that the probation would be so severe. Only a fool would hold a man responsible for a commitment that was made when every one thought the penalty would be a slap on the hand. Judging by the penalties on Cincinatti and Louisvile, who committed much mored serious violations of NCAA rulees, most thought our penalties would be much less sever. We all under estimated the spite that the NCAA had for the LSU that was coached by Dale Brown.