One of the few basketball posts I'll make...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Feb 3, 2004.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Hey TE we dont care about your problems on the lair

TE, and BB. would you have fired john cooper, frank zolich, bryon scott. im not saying brady is as good as these coaches, but i think it gets to the core of differences between some of you bashers and kool aid drinkers. i think they were stupid moves. obviously the cooper move worked, but to me the key is if the school will step up and get a proven step up. you dont fire brady just to get eddie fogler or mike jarvis. with all the brady bashing we dont hear enough answers. what move would you make. who would be available. i think the answer would depress you. we would have to take a chance on an assistant or lure a coach from a mid major (what i would prefer), but youd probably have to break the bank. hell, did you hear that donovan makes more than zook. maybe skip/emmert wont spend enough for basketball

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

[email protected] didn't say that to make you care, just said it...

As far as John Cooper...Considering the alternative to him, Mr. Tressel, and his 2-1 record versus Michigan, and two BCS bowl game victories, and a national championship...Yes, I would have fired John Cooper, LOL!

Frank Solich didn't win like Nebraska wanted to win. They had fallen behind Oklahoma, K-State, and Tejas...Like it or lump it, Solich wasn't the answer...Plain and simple...I don't think I would have fired him, but I would have imposed on him to either change his offensive philosophy and/or hire a coordinator who could. Either that, or reassign him to another position in the Athletic Department. Pelini would have been a good hire, as evidenced by what Stoops thought about him to replace his brother as DC in Norman...

Byron Scott took them to the Finals, but he rode the coattails of K-Mart and Kidd...and if you think he would have taken the Portland Jailblluntblazers to the Finals twice, or the Magic, or the Celtics, you're dreaming...

The finest point guard the league has seen since Magic Johnson retired, and All-Stars such as K-Mart, Richard Jefferson, etc...and role players like Mutumbo, St. Aug alum Kerry Kittles, and in the past, Keith Van Horn, were all elevated by Kidd....

Tell you what...Which would have hurt Jersey worse...Losing Kidd permanently, or losing Scott permanently?

Those are laughable comparisons to make...

You ask me what move I'd make? I'd hire Steve Lavin...Yes, I would...A guy that can recruit, who knows the game. That's just off the top of my head, and you all can say what you like, but I wouldn't mind Nolan Richardson, nor the newly resigned Kevin O'Brien, the former BC coach who went to the league and got tired of Danny Ainge's stupidity...What about Pete Carrill, who has said openly he'd like to coach in college again (He's currently tinkering with his offense in the Association as an assistant in Sacramento)...

Any of those would be good starting points...What I'm saying is that LSU didn't sit pat and wait for someone to notice it...We went out and SOUGHT someone and PAID them for their services...

LSU is going to make upwards of 150 million every ten years off Tiger Stadium. If you can't find a few million to pay a b-ball coach, while at the same time refurbish the stadium...and with the Administration's commitment to excellence, there is no "we won't pay mentality"...

Also...Emmert is honestly a basketball maven, as he was the Chancellor who hired Calhoun at Connecticut (Hmmmmmmmmm....), so he can hire a proven b-ball coach...and we have the money, and our AD and our Administration will support it...

Everything is in place except for the top-flight coaching...

3. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

we may have a short memory... Syracuse won it all starting 2 FR and 2 SO. that's less experience than this roster.

i don't care to comment on the Brady issue, but i will say that we definitely can't use inexperience as an excuse. it can be done, and it was been done last year.

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Hell, Brady actually said after this class was complete that it would be nice to have that kind of a team...He actually mentioned and commented about Syracuse...

This was in the media...on AM and FM radio....

LOL!

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

15-4, 5-3 2nd in SEC West. If that's not good enough, look inward. You have issues.

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

It can be done, with some Freshmen.

Do you see a Carmel Anthony on this team. And if it's coaching, why did it take Jim Boheim about forty years to win it all.
    I think Michael Jordan was a freshman when Dean Smith won his first National Championship also. NC didn't win the next year, even though he still had Jordan, so I suppose Dean forgot how to coach.

Obviously if we had a lottery pick on this team, John Brady would appear to be a much better coach.
    Saban was clearly a better defensive coach when Spears and Hill became Juniors and were healthy.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

TE, when you hinted at Brady's off the court issues, I thought it was possible Brady may not be the individual needed to represent our fine university as head basketball coach. I've still yet to hear anything specific from you or anyone else in the media so I'm assuming his actions weren't illegal. Although I may be in the minority, I feel the head basketball coach at LSU has to do more than just win and recruit well. He's an ambassador of the university and MUST be a positive role model for our student-athletes. No hard evidence of your assertions have surfaced and the players that stick around the program have been quality individuals. As of now, I'm giving Brady the benefit of the doubt over some guy on an internet board who finds it necessary to constantly prove how much he "knows" about the inner workings of anything and everything.

Now you seem to be focusing on the results of the team under Brady and their mediocre performance. If they would finish with a losing record in the SEC and miss the tourney, I could understand that argument. I might counter with the youth of the team and you would say something about Syracuse. I would say no player on this LSU team compares to Melo. Point is, both sides may have justification for their opinions. For you to make the "mediocre" assertion at this point in the season with everything the program has gone through, you appear to have let personal feelings for Brady cloud your argument.

One last thing, Steve Lavin? Nolan Richardson? I see why you indicated you wouldn't make many basketball posts. I wish you would've stuck to your word. Nolan Richardson? Steve Lavin? I just scrolled down to make sure you named them as potential replacements and you sure did. How about Nolan Richardson's son? Would he be a good hire also?

8. jef443

jef443 Founding Member

All you guys are complaining (well, most of you), but if you look around the league, LSU is 2 games out of first place in the WHOLE league. Florida lost to this Tenn team last week, but you didn't see the fans just not show up. This is a solid (not great, but solid) basketball team and I think expectations are a little too high. They will make the tourney this year, which is what I thought was always the goal anyway.

9. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

if you put an automatic top 5 NBA pick for next season on our team right now, i GUARANTEE you we'd make the sweet 16 this year and probably no worse than elite 8

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

TE, my point with bringing up the other coaches who were recently fired with good/great records is that its easy to go on a coaching carousel. i know many of you dont love brady, but its better than what we went through after arnsbarger. again, i dont get rid of brady unless the team becomes mediocre (no NCAA tourney or 1st rd loss) after a few years after scholarship restrictions AND you have some specific candidates in mind. That means either big $$$ for mark few or some other hotshot midmajor coach or pay less for a promising duke asst and keep your fingers crossed. i am not willing to take a chance on an assistant. the main reason is that brady has done pretty well with talent before, and its not uncommon for it to take a while for a great coach to develop a top notch program