One thing I find very interesting about those complaining about an ALL-SEC NC game ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

LSU_4_LIFE, didit and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

3. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I'm still trying to figure out how playing in the CFP game a week before is any different from the regular season when you play week after week until you get a bye then then continue week after week

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

and UGA has to fly back from the left coast to the right coast on Monday while Bama takes an easy ride from NO to Birmingham. Smart doesn't complain. Saban is building excuses. He knows the reckoning is nigh.

mctiger and GiantDuckFan like this.
  5. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

Certainly a fair question. There are two things that come to mind when I think about this.

First, the tournaments leading to the eventual NC match-up in those other sports are much larger to begin with, so the influence of the selection committee on who ends up in the NC is far lower than in Football. In basketball as well as baseball/softball, you have to beat a large number of opponents, likely from other conferences, to get that result. I don't have a problem with GA and Bama this year (though I do think that you should not end up in the playoff if you don't even win your division let alone your conference). However, I can see that as a potential reason why people focus on the football thing more.

The other reason is that the SEC as the "best conference" discussion usually focuses on FB, which causes people to resent that a bit more.

Richdog likes this.
  6. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

My preferred College Football Playoff format would be to expand to 6 teams, giving the top 2 a first round bye. This would preserve the meaning of the seasons, providing a real reward to finishing in the top of the poll by allowing a week to rest and prep for the second round. Secondly, it would allow for a broader number of teams to get in. This is good in that it decreases the claims of bias towards a conference.

So it would look something like this:

Playoff week 1:
    #1 and #2 in the polls - Bye
    #3 plays #6
    #4 plays #5

Playoff week 2:
    #1 plays winner of #3 vs. #6
    #2 plays winner of #4 vs. #5

Playoff week 3:
    NC between winners the previous week.

I know the argument will be that it is too many games, etc. Well, NCAA Division 1 FCS, Division II, and Division III all have playoffs that are longer, so that argument is pretty poor in my view. Secondly, we could just dump one meaningless scrub game during the season, and give the teams a second bye week to rest, and that argument goes away pretty quick.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  7. didit

didit Veteran Member

dafuq is he crying about... they already got an extra week by not having to play the SEC 'ship game... smh...

Brian, mctiger, ParadiseiNC and 5 others like this.
  8. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

All those sports have tournaments with more than 4 teams entered for a chance to win

9. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

Smart complained about it for an hour after their game. And they are each right. What is the point of making the teams show up that early anway? this isnt 1926 where a town welcomes you.

TerryP likes this.
  10. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

It's not jealousy, it's based on reason. Alabama finished third in the SEC. They didnt win their division, they didn't win their conference. Who cares if they are the best team (arguable for sure), they didn't earn it by winning their way to the SEC Championship.

The champion of a conference probably better this year than the SEC was left out. An undefeated team that beat the team that beat Bama was left out. Until they remove the subjectivity ie "popularity" in determining playoff teams, Bama will always get preference over other teams. The rest of the nation has reason to point out the injustice. This is twice that Bama has undeservedly been gifted a spot in the Championship Game.