OnePeat.com Billboard is UP!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU, Feb 23, 2006.

1. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

What is a real waste of money is this year's Mardi Gras. Couldn't that money be used more meaningfully? I think the billboard and Mardi Gras 2006 both demonstrate how screwed priorities are in this country.:dis: :dis:

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Yes we could have given all that money to people who refused to work before Katrina, haven't worked since Katrina and will forever sit around with their hand out crying poor me. Good thing Noah didn't sit on his a$$ with his hand out. JMHO

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's a tough one because the logical choice would be to spend it more meaningfully.... But I can't ignore the importance of saying, "Hey! We're (New Orleans) coming back!" ...it's a moral thing...I just wish they would limit it to say, one or two parades....

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I guess you've earned the right to judge others because of everything you've done. Judging others is what we do.

5. friday

friday Founding Member

waste of money? mardi gras is the single most economic event for the city of new orleans. new orleans NEEDS tourism right now - mardi gras coudn't be more timely economically and spiritually.

6. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

+1

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i thought the billboard was stupid but funny at the initial idea but now think its the worst thing ever. the negative media LSU will get for this, at our own expense nonetheless, is going to be bad. The rolling billboards in bristol is even worse. ESPN will use this to show how petty the fanbase and in turn, validate USC's three-petey attempt with even more bs as well as stroke USC's accomplishments. I think the timeliness of this has passed and its going to do the opposite of its intent. I will never be able to watch sportcenter, gameday nor a football game on any ESPN network with the sound on.

8. MCab

MCab Founding Member

Great point. We don't need to give the already biased media more reason to believe that the SEC and LSU have the pettiest fans out there.

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

As was mentioned above, "timeliness" is extremely important and it is wayyyyyyy off here. It's like wearing a Santa hat to the mall in March.

Second, if the new design I saw is the one used, it's not too good. The other picture showed the BCS trophies and looked great. This picture doesn't show or mention the BCS and so the sign doesn't really make sense without it because USC did win two AP titles (even though I could care less about the AP).

On the bright side, it looks like the Katrina fund will receive over 2K. And let me say, it's amazing that people can live so close to New Orleans and still barely know anything about it. New Orleans makes big money for Mardi Gras, we don't lose money on it. Riders pay big $$ to ride and for tons of throws. Spectators spend $$ on hotels, restaurants, Mardi Gras items, etc. And I think there's a sponsor for some of it for this one year, so any expenses will be covered even easier.

And yes, there was a nice amount of people in NOLA with their hands out even before the storm. However, you don't seem to realize how many hard-working people this affected. There are tons of them. Just on my street (and I live in an area that had no flooding at all), both of my neighbors lost their jobs because their places of work were destroyed.

10. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Agreed. I don't understand how this is a waste of money. Krewe members foot the bill for floats, NOPD on the route, and beads. The only thing the city does is set up bleachers downtown and put up barricades in certain areas. Trust me I used to ride in Endymion and my dues was $750 a year, not including beads. Multiply that by roughly 2100 members and you get $1,575,000 in funds to rebuild floats, hold the ball, and the extravaganza. Then tack on an extra $1500-2000 for beads and throws. Krewes like Rex have dues while into the thousands. NOLA is at 95% occupancy in the hotels right now, people are having a good time, and supporting local businesses down there.