oops... ESPN doesn't have Bass going in rnd 1

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, May 24, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I disagree. Bass needs more bulk and could have used the time to work on a 13' jumper. A big forward with a deadly jumper would have been top 5. I was looking at the names of potenital 1st rounders that weren't on Ford's list and Lee from Florida stood out. His game improved greatly by staying that extra year.

Of the team with late 1st round picks, Brandon doesn't seem to fill any of there needs. His ;advisor" said picks 20-36. He may be a round for the hornets, who could use a boost at the gate. A second round contract is a flyer that only asures if he goes back to school, he has to pay for it.

Playing for Brady doesn't factor into this at all. I know Auburn has barkley back all the time talking to players about temptations, the odds of making it, etc. It's very hard to pass up the opportunity when Garnet and James became rich directly from high school. Any innercity kid would jump at the chance, but a talented innercity kid needs to have someone, who doesn't stand to gain financially, lay out the landscape.

Most 2nd round players end up overseas playing until their game improves. That maybe an education that outweighs college. Vernell Singleton make a nice pile playing in France. However, it would be tragic if Brandon Bass went undrafted with the upside he had for 2005-2006.

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

He could work on a mid range jumper, he's deadly from 8' and pretty good from 22', but to have a jump shot dropping from any distance! Kid from Marquette, playing with Shaq, kinda reminds me of Bass, has a great jumper from just about anywhere on the court.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

D. Wade is a point guard....

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

"He may be a round for the hornets, who could use a boost at the gate."

How could he boost the hornets attendance when FEW cared to see him at LSU?

5. philter

philter Founding Member

Did he not improve his game from last year? He did, and his stock rose no higher. He is in that in between range...no one is going to take a risk on him at that size, even if his shooting improved, his draft position likely would not. He had to check on similar players to him coming out this year and next, and base his decision on what is best for him and his family. I think his decision was reasonable...he knew (was told) he could not move up much higher no matter what, and coming back would risk injury and his dreams. He just went for it, good for him.

6. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I didn't say Bass was going to play point, but Brandon can pass the ball (except in the last 10 seconds against Alabama) and can shoot the 3 or the dink jumper. Forwards in the NBA actually play from 10' in.

One angle I never took into consideration was the dog calls from the SEC officals. Bass was mugged regularly down the stretch and the zebras let it go. I'm sure Davis will now face this on slaught of uncalled mugging.

7. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

I don't know about ya'll, but I saw a lot of improvement from Bass between his freshman and sophomore years. IMHO his stock didn't rise in this year's draft because of the massive amount of similar players who have declared. I think next year he would be a solid first rounder, maybe even high first rounder if he was able to improve like he did last year.

That being said, you can't blame the man for trying to help his family out.

8. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

At 6'6(which is what he measured at the NBA camp last spring) Bass will be playing small forward in the NBA. He doesn't possess the ball handling skills or midrange jumpshot to excel at this position. He will be going against guys like Tayshaun Prince & Dewayne Wade who will eat his lunch. He might me able to find a niche with a certain team. It may be in his best interest to not get drafted at all if he doesn't get picked in the 1st round. Being a free agent isn't a bad idea as he can pick & choose the team that really needs him. JMO.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Did he sign an agent?

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Doesn't matter, he declared last year and withdrew. The NBA allows only one test drive.

It is pretty obvious that, at least in the Forum, there are deeply passionate fans about LSU basketball. I think it's great that in late May LSU folks are talking hoops. That wasn't the case all that long ago. There's disagreement, but there is talk!