oops... ESPN doesn't have Bass going in rnd 1

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, May 24, 2005.

1. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Ah, I didnt know that

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

how about dribble

3. USChater

USChater Founding Member

Stupid post. He has a lot to improve on. College awards dont make a great pro player i.e. Heisman Trophey. Brandon made a big mistake, he cost himself a lot of money and possibly an NBA career. I wish him the best.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

You have no idea what makes a player's draft status improve. There are tons of players in the world that can shoot. There are millions that can dribble. Him improving his FT/FG % or dribbling skills will not magically boost his status. It would have been a factor, but much like the NFL teams value speed in the CBs, the NBA values size in their 'big men'.

I didn't say he wouldn't improve as a player, sure he can improve his shooting and learn to dribble...but the gist of the thread is will he improve his draft #. No, he will not. He can learn how to dribble and shoot and block out from better teachers than Brady in the pros, the NBA is not opposed to drafting players without great fundamentals, they do it all the time. What they won't draft highly are players that don't obviously fit into their system...and unfortunately Bass is one of those players.

That's not to say he won't be a great NBA'er, they do come along often...but generally they don't get drafted high. Bass is in the same area of the draft he would have gone in last year, even with all the improvements he showed, and next year he would have been in the exact same area...whether he can shoot a 20 footer better or not.

The people on this board who truly follow the NBA will know what I'm saying, the couple who are calling my post stupid are missing the point and blindly following the mass mantra they hear repeated by talking heads..'he shoulda stayed another year'.

I'm not bashing Brandon, he was my favorite player, I'm just supporting him in the tough decision he made without wearing my p/g glasses. Much like CW, he was not going to dramatically improve his position, but he certainly could have hurt it. He talked to all the NBA teams and realized he had nothing to gain by coming back, career wise.

5. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

Brandon Bass will do alright in the NBA. Come on; if Erick Daniels and Keith Bogans (by the way getting major play for the Bobcats) can make a roster, than Bass can certainly make a squad. How says being a 1st rounder is the only way a player can get a check…ask Ginobly (sp?). Was he not picked next to last by the Spurs a couple years back? How about Bogans, he was drafted in the 2cd round (not guaranteed a contract) went to the summer league and impressed the Magic were they offered him a guaranteed 3 yr contract were he was traded to the Bobcats and is getting major production. Do not under estimate Bass; he will make a squad, no matter what round he is picked up in. He will do his magic in the summer league and he will be offered a contract. Bass will make some noise; I promise you that…coming from an UK fan! :thumb:

6. USChater

USChater Founding Member

At his size he needs to creat his own shot. He's more of a post up player. He's not big enough to do that in NBA. He needs to learn to creat his own shot

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

there arent many (or any) of us saying he will not do well in the nba. but he may have to improve during his first measly (relatively) contract to get a second one worth much. if he stayed in college there was a better chance that he'd get paid right off the bat (salary and bonus).

i'd bet his goal going into the nba is not to end up like bogans and dampier.

8. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

I think you are missing the point. No matter if he is drafted in the 1st or 2cd round (like most on here think will happen), I believe Bass will make an NBA roster. No doubt, Bass has a NBA body. Some on here question his height; I think he did well vs. the bangers in the SEC. Keep in mind, NBA is a player’s league, he will have an opportunity to create his own shot and game (I believe Brady had the reigns on him).

Yes, Bass may want to have a goal like Bogans and Daniels (even Dampier)…it is called a NBA paycheck. I certainly not saying Bass needs to have the certain style of game. By the way, Bogans and Daniels stayed till their senior season…Tayshan Prince was a late 1st rounder as well…he is doing just fine! Still missed the point about Ginoboly of the Spurs as well. He was certainly not a 1st rounder, he certainly making a statement in the playoffs. Do not put so much stock where Bass ends up in the draft…he will make his abilities known during the summer leagues and get his contract. Don’t hate him because he is chasing a dream…I just do not see how his stock could have gotten any better after this past season.

9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

But, what the didn't notice about the Brinks truck pulling into the driveway was that it was empty and it was pulling in to change a flat tire...NOT to make a deposit.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think Wildcat Mike is right. I don't think that Bass will have any trouble finding a spot on an NBA roster. He might not make quite as much in his first contract but nobody makes that much in the NBA on their first contract. The #1 pick only gets like 3 million a year. It's not like the NFL where the top pick gets a 20 million dollar bonus. The real money comes if you can prove your worth in those first couple years.

Basically, if Bass is an NBA player, he'll get his money. If he can't cut it, then he won't.