Open Office Question

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I created a table using the Open Office version of Word. When I name the file and save it the file will be the same as what I saved as long as I haven't turned off my computer and restarted it. When I do turn it off and restart it and then open the file instead of seeing the table and columns I made it changes to nothing but # signs.

####################
    ####################
    ####################

I have saved it as an .odt, a .doc and an .rtf file with the same results each time.

2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

unplug it, lick the prongs, then plug it back in

3. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

R u pulling the data from a spreadsheet? If so, u may need to open the spreadsheet first so the table can find the data. Could be when you restart the computer, it erases the cached version of the data file. Just a thought.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not a spreadsheet. A text document the Open Office version of Word.

I found a forum where other people were having the same problems but nobody posted an answer. Maybe I'll try making it in the spreadsheet format and see what happens.

Also I tried exported it as a pdf. Worked at first but now the files give an error message and won't open at all.

I would use Microsoft Word but I don't want to pay for Office. The Word app that comes with Win10 doesn't have the option of creating tables and columns.

5. onceanlsufan

In Word, win 10, I’m pretty sure you can create the table in excel, and paste it as a picture.

Might be what you need to do with open office as well.

Actually, I don’t know a thing about open office. I’m still crying over the loss of word perfect and quatropro. But I’ve gotten decent at Office 10 running on Win10.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I try to use Office they want me to pay $99 before the can use it. Not a one time payment but $99 a year.

7. onceanlsufan

Go to Walmart and see if you can find a student disk copy of Office10. ... or maybe ebay. It runs fine on Win10, and is a one time charge for up to three computers. I bought it back some time ago for my kid, and put it on all our computers, and his Surface. When my old computer died, I installed it from the disk on my new Win10 computer ... works great.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...fice.TRS0&_nkw=microsoft+office+2010&_sacat=0

you can pick up a copy for $44.

But like I said, you may be able to create you graph in a spreadsheet, and insert it into the openoffice gig as a photo. Worth a try.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I created it in Open Office and knowing the saved copy was going to fuck up I emailed it to myself as an attachment. Now I can open it from email and it appears to be a pdf. Also can open in Google Docs from email. Can view or print from a computer, tablet or phone. I was going to make it in a spreadsheet but it would have too many columns and rows. I wanted to make it where it somewhat resembled a guitar fretboard.
    upload_2018-11-19_20-47-31.png

onceanlsufan and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. onceanlsufan

That's awesome dude ... you teaching some one to play, or learning??

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Learning. It was my guitar teachers idea to learn which are the best notes to play a solo in. He makes charts like that for himself with all kinds of different tunings. I don't know what app he uses but I know he is too tight to pay for Office.