Optane Memory

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody know anything about it? I bought a laptop in September. Has 8 gigs of ram. Now I see a lot of ads that say their computer has 24 total gigs of memory, 8 regular and 16 optane.
    It's supposed to make your computer much more responsive. My old laptop had 4 gigs and was slow as molasses. New one is faster but not by as much as I had hoped.

Thing is, optane is an Intel product and.my HP laptom has an AMD processor. Would they ne compatible if I upgraded?

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Pretty sure @tirk is your man....in a non-sexual way of course. He's genius about this kind of stuff.

3. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

What programs do you normally have running? How are you accessing speed? YouTube downloads, or general web surfing? Games?
    What type of hard drive, SSD or HDD? and what size?
    AMD processor, which one? (Ryzen ?) And what's your graphics processor?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Mainly surfing and a few downloads. I don't usually keep programs that I am not using running.
    It's the Ryzen prosessor. Don't know what kind of graphics processor. The problem is that it's bit slow even when I open a text file or something that should be instantaneous.

upload_2018-10-18_21-18-33.png

upload_2018-10-18_21-19-37.png
    upload_2018-10-18_21-20-33.png
    upload_2018-10-18_21-21-11.png

5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Ryzen 3 is not super fast, but certainly good enough for what you're doing. Optane is like a wider bridge (more bandwidth) between memory storage and system memory (ram). It helps HDD hard drives (spinning) perform as fast as SDD (solid state).
    1) If i were you i would get a good pc cleaning program to clear caches and other crap clogging your system. Good ones will find hidden daemons phucking your system. I have a Mac and run "Clean My Mac" every so often. All that extra luggage can really slow your system to a crawl. That's your best bet. Select a great one program. Hell, even pay them a few bucks.
    2) Check your internet providers download speeds.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I use CCleaner regularly. I get pretty consistent 40-45 mps. It's not the internet when I click on a file or an icon and it takes a few seconds to open instead of almost instantly. Maybe Opane would speed up the data transfer between memory and my hard drive (1 terabyte)

7. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

how long does it take to open TigerForums after you click 'return'? And a simple text file? 1 second? Whats the program

8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

"A few seconds" vs instantly. You're probably comparing your system to a SSD hard drive. I have one and opening files is usually less than a second or nearly instant. HDDs like yours are much slower. Optane would significantly help your speed for sure. Your 8 GB RAM should be no problem.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can go from thread to thread and post to post instantly. Opening a textpad file is slower. OK, I just opened a text file and it was instant. Funny how when you tell somebody what is wrong it all of a sudden works. :eek:

Frogleg likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I recently replaced my expensive router with a more expensive router. Massive improvement. I noticed I had 20 devices on my router, I guess that is a load.