Oregon hires new Head Coach

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by GiantDuckFan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That is pretty amazing- especially in today's coaching circles.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Reading college football forums isn't necessarily indicative of how a fan base feels. For those folks that I know, a wide majority are done with Kiffin and would like to see him go. His biggest mistake this season is exactly what PC did toward the end of his tenure. They play favorites. Work ethic, classroom performance, promises....all go unnoticed while certain favorites get on the field no matter what. It tears apart a team quicker than anything. Then he chooses to highlight Marquise....and only Marquise. He's a crazy good WR but two things happened. Robert Woods was alienated and underused and Marquise is not quite as "nice" as when he first arrived.

Well, USC did beat Oregon AT Oregon season before last. Last I checked, the Ducks are still in search of a Natty. :)

3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

:)

Our natty count holds at 0,.. but we're progressing.

4. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've never seen a coach leave such a wide swath of enemies behind him. How long can it go on?

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't know how to answer that. He is one of the most knowledgeable people in terms of football. He has been around the game his entire life. As a coach he over thinks, over coaches, over analyzes.

Mike Garrett engineered Kiffin's return to USC. I think it was tolerated because of all the people that came with him. Those assistants are now disenfranchised. He has one year left to turn it around. IMO, he's not the guy and he doesn't deserve the job. That said, he can hella recruit.

8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

I dunno...i just read this article a few days ago pointing out how it seemed like Kiffin did a great job with his only signing class at Tennessee, being it was a top ten class and all....but, of the 23 signees, only eight from that class are still with the program following a.string of arrests and academic shortcomings.

Last summer, Rivals.com ranked
    Kiffin's ’09 class as the most
    disappointing nationally in the past decade.

“I don’t care who you are or where you are,
    you cannot have a class like that,” longtime
    recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg said. “You
    can’t have a bunch of kids to where a year
    or two later most are gone. Your roster is
    going to be depleted, and that’s exactly one
    of the big reasons why Tennessee is in this
    situation right now.”

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I suppose I was talking about his tenure in the SEC. He broke all of the unwritten rules about criticizing other coaches. He broke all the unwritten rules about recruiting. He left a half-dozen SEC coaches feeling that he had stepped on their toes. He left a dozen fan bases feeling like he was an outsider trying to wreck havoc in the league. He left his own program in the lurch after they gave him everything he asked for. There are some very powerful men in college football that are just waiting for a chance to do him a dirty deed. He'll never be considered for an SEC job again, some of the best-paying, championship producing jobs out there.

I know that he's a knowledgable football guy and a good recruiter, but so are a lot of his colleagues. I just don't understand why he steps on so many toes and treads on other turf so overtly and publicly. Payback is a bitch and when he loses this USC job, he will have peaked in the business and left another disgruntled program in his wake. The road ahead for him will not be so rosy.

Is that the problem? It is amazing to many people how he can field the kind of talent that he does and not dominate his league. I had assumed that his players were too easily distracted by the LA/Hollywood scene.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That isn't an accurate synopsis of his recruiting ability. It was only one year and he did get the guys in the door. I am guessing the disarray he left behind is a big reason why so many left. That and the players were a lil shady character wise.

He was USC's recruiting coordinator in 2005 and 2006. He has also continued to bring in quality players despite the sanctions. Not many coaches would have done as well. Urban is killing it but their sanctions are a cakewalk comparatively.