Oregon State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Jan 31, 2004.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Would everyone be happy opening with OSU next season? I for one would be very happy to see the step up in competition for an opener. It's hard to get fired up for Cupcake U even if it is the first game of the season so Oregon State will be a welcomed change for me. It also lets us play a quality program that we don't get to play on a regular basis if we have ever played them at all. Bring on the Beavers!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :geaux: :lsug:

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I would be happy to open with OSU. I would'nt call it a quality opponent though. The Beavers get their asses kicked consistantly in a weak PAC 10 conference. Its basically another rent a win, maybe a notch up, probably not. Lets face it, its not the Hokies, but not UL-Monroe either. More like another AZ.

3. TwistedTiger

I wouldn't call them a rent a win, but they are not a top notch SEC scholl either. However it is a HUGE step up from ULL, La Tech, UL Monroe, Western Illinois, The Citidel, Utah State, Middle Tennessee, Western Carolina, North Texas, Arkansas St, Idaho, Akron, New Mexico St, Troy St, should I continue? Just becaue we won a national championship this year doesn't mean we can overlook middle of the pack division I teams, remember on paper we should have beat Florida too. Oregon State is a quality opponent for an opening game and a welcomed change of pace.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I agreed with you. My point is that they are another AZ team that hangs on the bottom of a weak conference. All those teams you mentioned would give em a good game.

5. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Arizona won 2 games last year against really bad teams, and Oregon State won 8 games and went to a bowl game. That is pretty good improvement. They are not a top 10 team, but they have spent there share of time in the top 25 over the last few years.

6. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

I don't believe they are that big of a patsy. I think they are ESPN pre-season #16.

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I wonder when we will start seeing some of the OSU faithful enter the board.

8. Tbay Bengal

Tbay Bengal Freshman

I agree with Twisted Tiger. OSU reminds me of Florida. They are the type of team that can beat us if we approach the game overconfidently. OSU amassed 535 total yards on USuCk. Granted, USCs defense was 30th overall while we were #1 (after the sugar bowl). Sure, we should win, but weren't we a much better team than Florida too? Let's approach this game like we approached Arizona, South Carolina, and 'Bama. Prior to those 3 games, I actually read some upset predictions. Luckily, LSU took all 3 very seriously and proceeded to dismantle them to the point that our 2nd and 3rd string players got to play. Let's not forget, we will be starting a new starting quarterback (Randall, Russell, or Flynn-who knows?). The latter has me a little concerned. OSU returns their quarteback. All right guys, feel free to cut me down. Am I overly concerned or not?

9. Lump

Lump Founding Member

I just wish we would have 1 game against a rent-a-win before playing a team like OSU, especially when we will likely be breaking in a new QB. Too bad the Troy State game couldn't be moved up...I think it serves no purpose whatsoever to play a rent-a-win like Troy State in the middle of the season. They should be warm-ups, and nothing else.

10. TwistedTiger

It's true teams do usually make the most improvement between the first and second games but a championship caliber team shouldn't have a problem getting themselves ready to play a real team without warming up with a cupcake. We will be a much more veteran team that should understand what needs to be done whether it is the first game of the season or the last.:D :D :D :D Plus wont it be nice to hear a fired up sold out crowd for the first game instead of waiting until the 3rd or 4th game to get the fans in gear?:D :D :D :D