Oregon Trying To Give 16 Year Olds Voting Rights

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Kikicaca, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Oh what could go wrong there! Just when I thought the left couldn't possible get more insane this is proposed. Hell lets let babies vote that if the get pass being killed right before they are born by the democrats.

tumblr_inline_mnebhxoBhr1qz4rgp.gif

LSUTiga and watson1880 like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Next they will be letting ducks vote.

watson1880, Winston1, Frogleg and 2 others like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

images-51_resized.jpeg
    Duck Season!

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It’s sad. There is a broad and deep body of evidence that a mind that young isn’t mature until at least 21 on average. In addition life experience is critical in making mature measured decisions and face it a 16 or even 18 year old doesn’t have it.
    Rather than lower the voting age I think it should be raised to 21. It was a knee jerk reaction to the whines of the boomers (my generation I’m sad to say) that lowered the age. It’s time to end that experiment.

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i would say 21 and 25 for Senate and Presidential elections & national votes. But i heard Democrats are trying to lower it to 13.

6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

How can you not be mature enough to drink a beer or smoke a cig but be mature enough to vote?

watson1880 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

At the time it was the right thing to do. 18 year olds were facing the draft. If you're old enough to fight you're old enough to vote. I would now favor changing it back to 21 with the stipulation that 18-20 year olds in the military coyld vote.

GiantDuckFan and uscvball like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe you should be mature enough to not drink beer or smoke.

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

At what age should we stop allowing people to vote? Should we allow someone with Alzheimer's or Dementia to vote? What about mental illness?

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I understand as I was 18 at the time. I agree that serving military 18-21 should get the vote.
    That begs another question....should there be tests/standards to be eligible to vote. If you read the founding fathers they believed that the vote shouldn’t be an automatic right of citizenship. They believed that if there weren’t requirements that those who took no interest or were ignorant or who had no stake in paying for the government should not be able to vote. They believed only an informed and engaged citizenry could keep our country strong. That’s why they enacted various tests to obtain the vote.
    Unfortunately it was too often used to prohibit people who were of another race or class from voting. I doubt any form of test is politically viable but it should be.