O'Reilly's new book comes out tommorow

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by BayouBengal, Sep 22, 2003.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Moore uses man mistruths in the movie though. For example in one of the cartoons, the one about why white people have guns, he states that they have guns because are scared of black people. He goes on to say that white people own 90-95 percent of guns. That is accurate. when you are talking about legally owned registered firearms. The fact is that most criminals dont register guns.

2. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

DAMN FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop!

There a storm brewin' W.....

It's called Clark....!

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

In the cartoon done by Stone and Parker, it says that white people have guns because they were tricked into thinking if they didnt have them black people would kill them.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Personally and I'll admit...

So, Biggles, does that mean you believe that somebody who gets shot with a rifle or a shotgun is somehow "less dead" than somebody who gets shot with a pistol?

I can't say what the law is in any other state but in Louisiana it is just as legal to have a firearm in your vehicle as it is to have it in your home. Its easy to have a pistol in your console, glove compartment or under the seat in places where it is easily accessable if needed for the defense of yourself and/or your family or passengers. Just where the hell would you place a shotgun or a rifle in your vehicle in an inconspicous spot that would give you quick availability to it if it was needed in a hurry.

OK, I live in a pretty crime free neighborhood, I'm not an outlaw or drug dealer who needs to be armed during the daily exercize of my business and I don't regularly carry large amounts of cash although on rare occasions I do, so why do I need to carry a weapon? Read a newspaper or watch the evening news and you have your answer. Even though most crimes of violence are against victims known to the perpetrator there is still a signifigant percentage of random crime commited against "targets of opportunity" One day last week I woke up and read in the Advocate that three Circle K stores had been robbed within a two hour period. Two of those stores are where I frequently stop to buy a Coke, a candy bar, a lottery ticket, a pack of smokes or a 6 pack. As closely as I am able to ascertain from available reports I was in one of the stores about an hour before it was robbed. The robber must have been a crazy crackhead because the store was full of customers at the time it was robbed. The robber seized the opportunity to also rob the customers who were in the store at the time. Fortunately the robber was not one of those psychos who kills everybody in the store but we all know that it does happen all too often. I'm glad the robber chose to commit his crime at a time after I had been at the crime scene but if it had been earlier he would have gotten a faceful of lead from a law abiding citizen with a license to carry concealed weapons.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's a fake. Anybody wonder why there are no waves (there should be 12 foot seas with that mother brewing) and why the ship is heading right into it?

6. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

I'm not going to play debate games on this one..

I stated a fact as a preface to my opinion on the movie. I am anti-hand gun because I have taught inner city, at-risk (for you lesser understanding types) black kids for 15 years. I have seen and more important LIVED the devastation, the ease of acquisition and results of handguns. My personal decision is based on personal experience not some mantra droned into my head by an organization or ideology.

That said I've also disarmed 5 handgun attackers (3 criminals, and in bets one Army Major and one policeman). The guns were loaded and I was less than 5 feet away. Seems they're really not that hard to take the little boogers away even from the professionals.

Read a newspaper or watch the evening news and you have your answer

This was the main theme of Moore's movie. We are a nation of scared cowboys....
    You proved the point!

It's all in what you believe and what you know and not what someone tells you to believe....

Nice stories but I live differently....

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: I'm not going to play debate games on this one..

So how many of those inner city at risk black kids aquired their handguns legally? If handguns were illegal they would still be available through the criminal element black market but unavailable to those of us who buy them legally. Every punk who wanted a gun would have one while law abiding citizens would be denied the right to protect themselves.

Hey, Biggles. I can believe that you disarmed 3 criminals. Just because they had a gun dosen't mean they were proficient in how to use them. The only way I believe that you disarmed 2 trained professionals would be if you were some kind of badass Delta Force or Navy Seal guy with special forces training. If you are more power to you but that is something that the average citizen would never be able to do.

8. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

I don't care how the hand guns were obtained.

Fact remain they are freely attainable to anyone who wants them. The means is problematic but the end is devastation. This is the world I am in, this is my opinion.

I've never been in the military. (If you would like to discuss privately, [email protected]) As far as being a bad-@ss I'm more Winnie the pooh. I disarmed one with a pint of Vanilla Hagen-Daas. I hope they don't outlaw Hagen Daas...
    ;p