Orgeron loses Louisiana 5 Star RB to UGA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerTap, Jul 29, 2018.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yes

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I skied Steamboat a couple of times along with all of the major areas. I did most of my skiing at Ski Cooper, a small area outside of Leadville. No lift lines, great snow, and they gave a military discount.

3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Yes many times. First back in my fake hippie days in the early 70's. I would call it upscale cowboy as far as the town. The mountain is good not that big but good terrain and lots of powder if you are into that. Got to meet and have drinks with Billy Kidd and Spider Sabich judging a wet t shirt contest at the old Tugboat once. Both were Olympians. Sabich was later murdered by Claudine Longet in Aspen. The hot springs at Strawberry Park was fun, clothing optional and the hippie chicks were numerous and very willing in those days as long as you would get high with them. I got high with them a lot.

Today it hasn't changed that much. What I do like about it is it's easy to fly into (nearby Hayden), the base elevation is low (6900') and the prices are good versus Vail or Aspen. Strawberry Park is still there but it's mostly old people like me unlike the 70's with all the young hot hippie college girls from Nebraska U that would show up for spring break. Something about those farm girls from Nebraska they were pretty, wholesome and very horny have fond fond memories of what I can remember from my pot filled days there.

If you need more info let me know. However if you want the best on slope and off slope experience go to Aspen, nothing like it especially in March. Know a bunch about most ski areas if you need advice. Screw ya if you ban me again asshole, LOL

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

True story...
    I lived in Colorado for 10 years. One day I met a co-worker at Keystone to hit the slopes.

When I got there, he introducedd me to his friend, Bill. So we went down some runs and about halfway down Bill asks if I was interested in getting some pointers on utilizing my ski poles a little better.

Sure, why not? Right?

So for the rest of the the next few hours, the pole pointers evolved into tips for better carving, keeping my knees over my toes, etc.,.

At some point Bill needs to leave and we exchange the pleasantries of "nice meeting you", "thanks for the feedback on my form", etc.,.

After he leaves, my friend asks "Do you know who that was? That was Billy Kidd."

I knew my friend was originally from Vermont, but it turns out he grew up in Stowe, where Kidd grew up and my friends older brother was a high school classmate of Kidd's.

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Cool story. I only had a few drinks with Billy Kidd but from what I remember he seemed very genuine and grounded. Sabich was a hansome fun loving hard charging womanizer which did him in eventually. Kidd is still in Steamboat today.

As far as carving didnt really learn to ski till I learned how to carve turns, just thought I was skiing. We skied basically on the tails of our skis in the 70's hot dog era, was young and strong and could get away with it. Did a lot of air back then and lucky to have not broken many bones, real stupid. Once I learned to carve skiing became easier and my skills got better especially in the moguls. Once I learned powder skiing I was hooked, it's the pinnacle of skiing Herb. BTW most people don't understand how important the proper pole plant is when skiing.

Leaving for a 5 day ski trip to Vail Jan 9.

Herb, LSUTiga and lsu-i-like like this.
  6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I have bad memories of that Leadville area. In 1995 almost ran off the mountain at the big curve on hwy 24 north of Leadville at Tennessee Pass. Wound up on top of the gaurd rail within 6 feet of going over the cliff. Took 2 wreckers to get me off that rail. Hit black ice hidden under 1" of fresh snow on the curve.

Good ending to the story however. Avon Body Shop's wreckers came and got me took me to Avon that night and put me in the Comfort Inn. They came and got me at 8am the next morning had me a loner car alreday packed with most of my ski gear ready to go. Made it to Aspen by 11am and got to ski a half day. Buddies flew up met me the next day and we had a fabulous trip. 10 days later drove back to Avon picked up my jeep and went home.