OU fans claiming...

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Vincent4Heisman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

#1 Recruiting class, in quality.

Whatever that means. Just another way for OU to claim that they are the best. They still haven't proven it over the last 3 years.

2. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

They also have the best QB. He won the Heisman.(Ha, Ha, Ha)

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

And how does OU define quality? I thought that the widely accepted Rivals and Insiders rating systems were used to define quality of a recruiting class. I guess its as quality as they can get in Norman.

4. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

As for as the ratings of recruiting classes by various recruiting services go, I believe most college coaches pay them little heed, because the coaches depend on their own individual player evaluations. They measure the success of their recruiting classes on the basis of whether or not they were able to get the players they identified and targeted and that, hopefully, filled their needs.

Player recruiting services ratings on who or which teams had the best recruiting classes in any given year are strictly the subjective opinions of the various rating services and are for public consumption only. In the larger scheme of things, they don't amount to a hill of beans, since their evaluations are subjective and not the opinions of the individual coaches. Indeed, if their subjective opinions were always accurate, then we all know that Texas would have already won 5 National Championships by now.

Personally, I take their ratings with a grain of salt, because at best it's only a subjective and educated guess, a guess that isn't even made by coaches, and even if coaches made it, I know 10 different coaches would still yield 10 different opinions. Hence, I don't believe it is so important to finish number one as it is important that your average stars stay somewhere at or within the top ten. After all, it's not every year that your team is going to need to sign 29 players, because some years they might only have room for 15.

So in my opinion the recruiting services ratings at best can only supply a general indication as to the quality of any given year's recruiting classes, and as long as a team's average stars consistently stays anywhere in the top ten, that team should be one of the top teams in the country year in and year out.

Perhaps a better rating system would be for recruiting services to rate team recruiting classes on the basis of grades. For instance, all recruiting classes that finish in the top 10 in average stars would receive a grade of A. The teams finishing in the next 10 would receive a grade of B, and so on. It would certainly help relieve a lot of the pressure on some of the coaches that have to live up to what are in effect unrealistic expectations on the part of some of the fans.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree completely but do you think they really want to help the coaches, nope, they want to sell subscriptions and one of the ways they do that is by hyping who's number one, two, etc. But I really think you are on to something, just call rivals, insiders, lemming, emfinger, highscool sports, prep whoever and tell them all of your idea. if you get em all to go along with you I'll buy dinner at Ruth's Chris!!!

6. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Nah! we rank any where from #3 to #8 depending on what recruiting service you look at.

We're very happy. We could only offer 18 this year. Next year we should be able to offer a lot more because a lot of seniors will be leaving.

I think what you are referring to is that Stoops made the comment that if you add up all the players according to just their stars like rivals gets them, then we would be #2. Of course, he knows that is not the way they do it. The more players you sign, the more points you get added to the total. It knocks you down when you can't sign as many in a given year.

Having a top 10 team is great. I don't think there is much difference between #1 and #10. Some guys will be overrated and some guys will be underrated. Look at Texas, they have been the national recruiting champion a couple of years in a row. They don't have anything to show for it. A lot of it boils down to player development. OU and LSU both know how to develop players.

Congrats on your #2 recruiting class.

7. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Yep, your right about that - it makes too much sense and the rating services could care less about the coaches because it is only about selling subscriptions and generating revenues.

8. lsucorndog

lsucorndog Founding Member

Actually, LSU has had the top recruiting classes the last two years.

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Those moral victories of Oklahoma ... starting to sound like Tulane fans ....

Face it, Oklahoma fans ... your myth and your trophy aspirations are shattered ...

you're grabbing for straws now ... and another defensive coordinator soon ... since little Bro left OU.

Frankenstein "the limping Heisman Bullseye" will not get you to the promised land in his 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th year, no matter how many "BIONIC" bolts they stick into his arse, hips, shoulders or knees.

You won't take the Big 12 title and outrecruit the rest anymore ...

the only question is ....................... how long or fast will the OU downhill run be.

I liken the upcoming Oklahoma FB downturn to the hit Hollywood Blockbuster movie "Jackass" ...

where the little kamikaze dwarf with the FB helmet (Stoops) takes the grocery cart on a hill and starts flying down until he reaches a speed of about 50 mph ... then the big wipeout.

But does the dwarf ever learnfrom his mistakes?????????????

No, he keeps going and going! So shall it be with OU.

10. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

I'd take our class or USC's over Oklahoma's.