Our receivers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Oct 14, 2007.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Why such a problem this year with the dropped passes? Is it attributable to young receivers? Passing that is off the mark? In any case, since Early went down with that injury, no one has stepped up as the go-to guy. As has been stated on other threads, it will be difficult to win the SEC w/o a decent passing game.

Seems to me the tone of the game could have been different with a better first series. LaFell dropped a pass that I believe would have gone for a first down, but we end up 3 and out. Hindsight is 20/20, but had we been able to sustain a successful first drive, and get on the scoreboard first, could be looking at a different game. I saw on another thread that LaFell had 7 drops. That is not acceptable. Think he might benefit from lasar surgery? Of course there were other drops (Zinger comes to mind), but these are just killing us...

:geauxtige

2. col reb

col reb Founding Member

To me, lack of experience is understandable as far as running the wrong route, etc. But the hands don't need experience!!!!! If you get your hands on it, seldom should it be "uncatchable.":nope:

3. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

We have to remember these are young guys just out of high school. The more experience they get the better they are. The more the starters play together the better their timing gets. I'm hoping all the playing time that is being spread around is going to pay big dividends. Tolliver looks like a future Randy Moss. Did you see those spin moves? He's still very young. Did you see Chad Jones interception? He just laid out for that one. All this talent has now got to get focused. I believe in this coaching staff that they will get the job done. The first half of the season is over, now the real march for a championship season begins. :geauxtige

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Who knows? It's not like dropped balls are a new thing, recalling Bowe's tenure and Doucet's freshman year.

Some of them are due to errant passes, but that obviously doesn't account for all of it. There's no underestimating the value of experience at WR for all but the most elite WRs.

5. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Remember, the Tigers have a new wide receivers coach this year in DJ. McCarthy.

He's known as a great recruiter.

So far this year, I don't see his coaching talents on display.

LSU has the 88th best passing attack in the country. :cool:

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Lafell isn't just out of high school and is the main culprit.

Lafell seems to the go to guy right now because apparently he gets open more. I will not be surprised if he is replaced for a lot of plays next week.

I missed the OT's b/c I didn't extend the time on my DVR long enough. Was Toliver ever getting the ball? I don't remember seeing him get the ball in regulation.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yes, he got one ball and made an awesome play, getting down inside the ten. It was called back for illegal formation (on him) --- see Tolliver penalty thread.

He's going to be one special WR. He has played brilliantly as a true freshman, and has just made some freshman mistakes.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

i called for D.J. McCarthy's head during the Tulane game. I haven't seen anything that would make me feel any different. Not impressed by our corps of wide receivers as a whole. Who would have thought Todd Monken was our biggest loss after last season?

9. Purple Reign

Purple Reign Founding Member

:thumb:

Agreed. This is D1 football. You should be able to catch. You can see flag football players any weekend make most of those catches.

10. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

I propose Lasik eye surgery.