OU's recruiting class better than LSU, according to Stoops

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MiketheTiger69, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

Mack Brown said the same things last year.

2. BB

BB Founding Member

He had to recruit well to rebuild "one of the greatest teams in the history of college football." I think the Federal Government should be given the power to heavily fine sports analysts and media types who end up being so rediculously wrong. In Trev Alberts case, they should just call in a firing squad.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

your darn link tried to load all kinds of stuff on my computer instead of taking me to an article on Stoops!!!:cuss: :cuss:

4. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Stoops is being deceptive here because he only signed 18 players while LSU signed 29. Of course, it is going to be much tougher to keep your average star count up if you sign 29 recruits as opposed to only 18. Moreover, Tim Washington's star count was penalized because he was an 03 recruit re-signed in 04, and P.J. Zimmerman signed to be a deep snapper and is paying his own way. In 03, Tim Washington was a top 100 player on everyone's recruiting list and P.J. Zimmerman's stars shouldn't be counted against this year's class. Fix those anomalies, and we beat OU in average stars. Nevertheless, recruiting ratings from recruiting services are only a very general indication as to the quality of any given year's recruiting class. It's only a very subjective contest at best that was cooked up by people who aren't even coaches.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Re: That's fine

Amen Oklahoma Tiger!

This is getting rediculous.

PS,

Stoops needs a reality check, he still thinks his defense is #1:shock: :D

6. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Nah! we rank any where from #3 to #8 depending on what recruiting service you look at.

We're very happy. We could only offer 18 this year. Next year we should be able to offer a lot more because a lot of seniors will be leaving.

I think what you are referring to is that Stoops made the comment that if you add up all the players according to just their stars like rivals gets them, then we would be #2. Of course, he knows that is not the way they do it. The more players you sign, the more points you get added to the total. It knocks you down when you can't sign as many in a given year.

Having a top 10 team is great. I don't think there is much difference between #1 and #10. Some guys will be overrated and some guys will be underrated. Look at Texas, they have been the national recruiting champion a couple of years in a row. They don't have anything to show for it. A lot of it boils down to player development. OU and LSU both know how to develop players.

Congrats on your #2 recruiting class.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Uhhhhh...Stoops, Dude. If we signed 29 and you signed 15 I believe that constitutes doing better. He's got some serious LSU envy issues going on. Until the KSU game this year he was, hands down, the premier college football coach in the country. Now Saban and Carroll are getting all the ink and he feels slighted. He must have a huge ego.

8. Mr. Peabody

We signed all that we could this year. We didn't have very many seniors leaving this season.

Is reading comprehension at an all time low on this board?

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Stoops is beginning to join Carroll on my list of "Whiney, excuse-making coaches".

Quit your crying Stoops!!

Besides, what the hell difference does it make who's got the #1 or #2 or #3 class anyway??? Let your record on the field be the judge. Just take pride in knowing that you had, what many people consider, to be one of the top 5 signing classes in the nation.

Who the hell really cares if they were 1-5??? Not me! Just as long as more headlines such as "Saban lands top 5 class again" keep pouring out, I'm happy!!!

10. Mr. Peabody

Apparently you guys just take a break when reading through a thread and skip over my posts. Oh well. :D