Outplayed?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sweatspurplgold, Oct 7, 2007.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We were mostly one dimensional on offense, but we still gutted out a win.

2. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

That one dimension was awfully good.:hihi:

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Never fails. There's ALWAYS that vocal minority that COMPLAINS about the way we win. I'll never understand it. What about the O-LINE completely dominating the 4thQ and ramming it right up UFs ass? They knew what was coming and they STILL couldn't stop it. Heart of a freakin champion. You people who feel we were outplayed don't know anything about football. :dis:

2 people like this.
  4. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

The D is perfectly capable of playing better against this team. We didn't apply enough pressure. Did you see how different Tebow looked when we finally started blitzing? Give their OL credit for denying our DL a good push but we did nothing to confuse them and blitzed even less than usual.

5. mauitiger

mauitiger Founding Member

AMEN FANATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You do what it takes to win. Most games it's our defense, today I give MOST of the credit for this win to our gutsy TIGERHEARTED OFFENSE.:thumb: :D

6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

What you guys have to understand about UF is that they play a very unconventional offense. It goes way deeper that them just running 'the spread'. I was just as frustrated as the next guy on alot of plays tonight, but statistically, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think they'll still be No.1 in total D. The only ranking we may lose is the No. 1 ranking in scoring D.

7. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

Sweat, I see the game differently than you did. First of all, we played a tough UF team that acted as though everyone said they would lose tonight. They came in with a chip on their shoulder and played near-flawless ball in the first half, on both sides of the ball. They gave us their best shot and could have taken this game if some of the things that happened for us didn't happen.

Next, I understand the confusion about MF, but I think others have addressed that. I would add that I thought he was very cool under intense pressure in the first three quarters especially. He could have cracked in this pressure situation. He did not. He kept coming back and the team pulled the game out.

I am one who is somewhat quick to criticize, but this is one of those games where it was clear that Miles was doing a hell of a job and getting some breaks going his way. Things were coming together. That team willed itself to a win where many probably would not have. That was an incredible display of overcoming adversity and simply executing down the stretch.

If I were to have one criticism of this game it would simply involve a question (therefore not a criticism) about how we platoon our quarterbacks. It seemed to work out ok tonight, but I worry about an interruption in our offensive flow when we go back and forth.

Savor the victory folks, this one was an instant classic! :crystal:

2 people like this.
  8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Carnell Stewart was flagged for offsides for sure 3 times. LaFell had 6 receptions for around 70 yards but I think he needs to use his hands more. I noticed he catches it "In the bread basket" and the INT bounced off of his pads cause he's not using his hands. I didn't notice it on every catch though, it just caught my attn at the game in a couple of plays.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

This was a great win, but objectively our offense played one dimensional and our defense didn't quite have Florida's O figured out like Pelini thought it would. This is obviously a criticism thread, but I think most critics realize how huge this win was.

Nice post. LSU definitely passed its gut check this weekend. Florida is one of the best teams in the country and this game was played at the highest level. We profited from some Florida mistakes and hung on to win despite not playing a perfect game. But Florida has no room to talk about giving the game away unless they agree we gave the game away last year.

As a fan of college football, I realize overcoming adversity and less than flawless execution is part of the game. We did that. But on a purely technical level, LSU's offense was not a threat downfield most of the game. Florida did not have to respect the pass today.

I was also disappointed that we couldn't stop Florida most of the night. They moved the ball on our defense better than we moved the ball on theirs (we had some long drives, but needed 4th down conversions and tricks to do it). I'd say in general, I was more impressed with Florida's execution tonight. I'm hoping we still have our most complete game to play (I'm hoping we didn't peak at the start of the season), but we won't have a lot of room to iron out the kinks against cupcakes. We have a rough schedule. We displayed heart, our coach displayed moxie, and we got the win in one of the best games ever in Tiger Stadium.

I'm sorry if some people can't handle an accurate representation of what happened last night. Criticism isn't meant to take away from our win last night, and in reality it can't. Though critical, I truly enjoyed this win and realize just how big it was.

Just to prove I'm not beyond criticism, I was elated when I found out USC lost, hanging on the edge of my seat for every play, and screaming at the TV. This was an emotional night and an emotional win.

10. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Florida played with their backs against the wall. A chance to beat #1 and get right back where they were. We got their best shot. They will lose another one.