Over or Under-achievement?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pennsylvania, Nov 24, 2012.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2011 was LSU's year, but Les blew it in the championship game. That high pre-season ranking has kept us in the top-10 as the highest ranked 2-loss team this season, but I always thought that LSU was a bit weaker than last season. We are just about where I expected. Les averages 11 wins a season and this one will probably be another one.

If we we not losing so many juniors this year, I would have equally high expectations for next year. But we will have a significant drop-off on defense . . . and Mettenberger is too inconsistent to take us to the top.

2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Well, just like the answer to the thread, there are many reasons to give this answer or that answer. I believe 3 national titles kinda gives Nicky a bit of a pass on a loss that has not even, and may not even, cost them at least a shot at another title.

Back on topic, I would say, considering all the losses(on the field and off) of key players this year, 10-2 with the close nature of the losses and who we lost to: one could see this season as over-achieving. If you focus on being ranked #1 in the preseason coaches' poll, then 10-2, while maybe not quite under-achieving, is at least a bit disappointing. Now that I've given a little detail on the nature of each answer, my answer is this: It depends. A bowl loss and I would consider this season a slight failure. I guess you could call that under-achieving. If we can win our bowl game and win 11 games yet again in easily the toughest conference AND division in the country, then my answer would be that we simply achieved. Not over expectations or ability for sure, but, considering all the adversity, I would not consider that under-achieving either. Here's to getting back to domination after a layover-hopefully only about a week layover(I'm looking at you Georgi!) GEAUX TIGERS!!

3. msully

msully Founding Member

Do not know about you , me i am looking forward to next season , to answer your question if the team that was to be the teram at the start of the season had of had this record , i would say under /But with our young team , they play very well, gave Bama all it wanted , what more could i ask for . We did great >>

4. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Well, forget that. Damn I HATE bama..

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Kinda makes me wonder what ol Sabanfan is up to.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

If you just hear the numbers 10-2 it's impressive. Also one ugly body of work...

7. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, we escaped w/wins against AUB, Ole Miss, Arky, and hell, even Towson gave us all we could handle. Should of beat ALA and FLA. So, I guess, in the end, 10-2 is about as good as one could hope for. We got better in the passing game as the season went on, but defense played less consistent these last few games. Kind of a mixed bag season. Clearly we were not a contender this year. Agree w/Red, last year should have been our year, but we screwed the pooch on that one. Agree w/Halloween, the real difference this year was expectations vs reality. Most of us clearly had unrealistic expectations. I think we probably maxed out our potential in hindsight, and achieved the best possible record we could.

8. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

It has been a very good season. Any time we are 10-2 with both loses to quality Top 5 teams we have nothing to be ashamed of and should hold our heads high.

I know I had Mett and the receivers built up as much more than they turned out to be. All the close games and inconsistent play were frustrating. I keep telling myself that the injuries on the O line and all the young players caused most of our issues. Hopefully, I am right and they can be solved. I know I look forward to our bowl game and next season where we should be even better.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Why even bring that team and that coach into this discussion? This is not about them. This is about us.

10. leroy7500

leroy7500 Founding Member

Progression/Regression is the theme of this years season.

While the Offense flicked the "on" switch during the Bama Game...The Defense gave up 35 points to Ole Miss and continually gets gashed by slants and long runs by far weaker opponents.

Progression by the Offense/ Regression by the Defense.

The one thing that bothers me (with the exception of #33) - Where in the Hell is the Running Game!!!

We deserve a good Bowl..and if not,
    "Eat mor' chikin"