Over Ranked DL and Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JP4LSU, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

You are so correct on this.

2. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I agree loco. When they put in 4 WR's the LB match becomes easy pickins for a pitch and catch team. I don't like the 4-3 in this case. Our LB's are pretty quick and good pursuers but they can't cover good WR's. I would rather 2 LB's.

The biggest point is no pressure and the blitz packages were very vanilla and obvious. The UK OL absolutely played lights out against our DL, but our DL looked slow and had no pursuit. The OL has a huge advantage when they don't have to really worry about blitzes. The easily know their assignments on each play. If you throw different types of blitzes, somebody will miss their assignment and we get a sack.

I was very disappointed in Pelini's scheme against UF and thought for sure he would go after a pocket passer who makes really bad decisions when he gets pressured and knocked around some. I'm disappointed immensely in the play of the DL and DB's and in Pelini's scheme.

You make a good point though Loco with the 4-3 against a pocket passer with a spread offense of 4 WR's. With the LB's playing zone it is easy 10yd passes for Woodson.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I figured LSU would lose one game this year, but I sure did not think it would be to Kentucky.

4. True Grit

True Grit Founding Member

I think we are also missing Alexander. Now Pittman might be out. We have depth on the dline, but if those two are out we could in for trouble.

5. luvmesumlsu

luvmesumlsu Founding Member

6. luvmesumlsu

luvmesumlsu Founding Member

Unless we do a 180 this week Auburn will be our second loss

7. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

dline is the best? it looked to me like they stayed at the line of scrimmage and played patty cake with the OL. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think the schemes have been bad. When I watched Kentucky play SC, I knew that we would blitz Woodson all day. That just didn't happen, and the defense doesn't seem to be swarming to the ball like we did early on in the season.

In short, we look lethargic lately, and I'm scared any time we have to keep someone from scoring.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Come on. Woodson is the best QB in the league and plenty capable of burning us on the blitz.

1 person likes this.
  10. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Red ,Im not going to argue with you, but I "dont" think this UK kid is the best, I think the "best" QB in the country resides in Fla...but we damn sure made him look like it Sat afternoon. They didnt blitz enough, had I been coaching the Tigers "D" I would have sent corners, and basically threw the house at him. IF you got sack him then just knock him down...get him rattled. Instead we went "bend don't break" ala new Orleans Saints. They better get out of that sort of mentality in a hurry. Keep the heat on him and he would have "folded". SC proved that! Why the hell the LSU coaches didnt see it, Ill never understand, "sloppy"!...Mark my word here, youre "really" gonna see how good he is at the hands of the "Gators" this week. UK loses this game. The Gators have had a week of and their fresh. I believe UK is in for "big" trouble this weekend...and quite frankly the Gators may "blow them out". Its going to be interesting to watch. In short, this was'nt a
    game we had to lose. It could have been won with a little more flexibility by the coaching staff.