PAC-10 Conference Championship Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU'syourdaddy, Jul 21, 2004.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

As far as location is concerned, the first team I would suggest for adding to the Pac10 would not make sense. But throw location out and..... Notre Dame belongs there...... As for the second team Boise State.

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

They would fit right in, then, since most of the Pac-10's current members do not have football programs, either. ;)

3. Lump

Lump Founding Member

Have you visited the beautiful Arizona beaches lately? They are magnificent!

I hope you weren't thinking about it too hard. There are obviously no rules stating that a PAC 10 school must be in a state that borders the pacific ocean, as 'zona and ASU can attest. A big obstacle from what I understand is on the academic side of things. The Pac 10 prides itself on its high academics. Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and USC are all very good schools, and ASU, UofA and UW are no slouches either. Those schools do not want to see the conference watered down with the likes of SDSU, UNLV, Hawaii or Fresno State, so those schools are very doubtful. BYU makes some sense, but I can't think of a 12th team that is even remotely feasible.

4. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Dang, I missed a chance to quote an older country song. Well here goes anyway, in the words of George Strait: "I've got some ocean front property in Arizona."

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Well.. the Gulf of California comes really close to Arizone.. so.. heh.. They should add Boise State at least.. they have a good program and deserve better recognition.

6. LSU'syourdaddy

LSU'syourdaddy Founding Member

Good thoughts, everyone. As far as I know, the PAC-10 has NO interest in adding teams or playing a football conference championship game. Their commissioner has been clear about this. However, I love the hypothetical "all BCS conferences must have at least 12 teams and a championship game" rule, as the ACC, SEC, and Big XII already are on board. It seems that the misnamed Big Ten could easily add Notre Dame and have 12. The Big East could add and reshuffle, and even the Mountain West and/or Conference USA could be players eventually. The PAC-10 appears to be the biggest obstacle. The PAC-10 would likely, as many suggested, have to raid the Mountain West. San Diego State/Utah/BYU/UNLV seem feasible, but I think the academics and variety of good sports programs could be an issue. I don't know enough about those schools academically or athletically (besides football) to make a good guess, plus this is all a hypothet.

Imagine it-Six BCS powerconferences (ACC, Big XII, Big Ten (could they swallow a name change?), Pac-10 (12), Big East, and either Mountain West or Conference USA)

All teams would have to be members of a conference with at least twelve teams and a championship game to be eligible for an eight (8) team playoff.

The six powers would get their respective champions in the playoff. The two other spots would go either to non-power conference champions or power conference at large teams, depending on BCS ranking. Of course, the BCS rankings is another issue altogether, but they could be used to determine the matchups in the 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. playoff.

Ah, Heaven on Earth!

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Nah. ND needs to hurry up and join the Big-10 so they'll have 12 and can have a Champ game.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The PAC 10 has 2 teams from Oregon, 2 from Wash, 2 from Arizona, 2 from Southern Cal and 2 from Northern Cal, so I think if they were to add 2 more teams they would add BYU/Utah or Colorado/Colorado St, that would give them the allegience of an entire state and bring in more revenue. The problem with the Utah schools would be the small amount of revenue that would be added to the PAC 10 coffers via TV exposure. Nevada/UNLV wouldn't be on their candidate list I think do to gambling issues. To me it appears that Colorado/CSU would make the most economic sense.

9. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD