Paging Jval

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Jan 23, 2019.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

@jvalhenson How is the hog situation in Miss? You never post about hogs and was just wondering.

2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Terrible. Kill several a year. Eat some. Others leave for the coyotes. It’s bad and getting worse. Some areas there are none.....yet.....but lots of places they are overrun and causing major problems. The farmers kill them by the hundreds. Still can’t slow em down. I like having a few around the hunt and eat and all but you can’t just have that. I read one time somewhere that to maintain the population you have to kill around 60% of them a year and to actually decrease them you have to kill 80%. That just is not possible with guns even shooting ever single one you see. I saw 1 sow that had 19 shoats. And they do that 3 times a year. So 1 sow is making up to 60 more hogs every year. Maybe more.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  3. LSUTiga

yeah I’ve read pretty much those numbers too. I love hunting em. Prefer eating pork than deer. Have some farmer friends that give me open invitation to shoot all I want. I only kill enough to put some in freezer and a couple to give to people like my neighbor who is a single mom with two boys, etc.

I know I’m in the minority, and catch hell from the boys in my hunting club for sayinging it, but for me, the sight of a sounder of hogs on my game cams is a good thing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

I def enjoy hunting them and we eat several a year they are just so destructive especially for the farmers and they will absolutely wipe out the acorns and food plots. We trap em and shoot em year round and I really dont think we can make a dent in em even catching them 10-20 at a time in the traps. Uncle has a big pen we keep em in to fatten em and butcher for the ones we trap so those are the main ones we eat and the ones we shoot generally leave there or drag off to get them away from stands or roads etc. If they would just stabilize in population wouldn't be such a big deal but they won't......numbers just keep increasing. MS actually has opened hunting to them year round with no weapon restrictions day and night with bait etc on private land. Public land have to hunt them with weapons legal for other game that is in season and when no seasons are open can hunt them with any weapon on some public lands.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Bengal B likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

Kyle I’m more into this type of hunting, only I don’t shot more than I can clean and eat or give.

KyleK likes this.
  7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

are the smaller ones better eating?

8. LSUTiga

Sometimes better but always at least as good as. There’s a myth that the big board are not good but they are, if they don’t stink.

Younger tend to be more tender, to a certain point.

You have a bone that gets pictures? I think I sent you a pic of one of my kills but didn’t get a response so figured I was creeping you out. lol

9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Arkansas fans everywhere are mortified. Should play this at home games.

That's a lot of boudin though. I'm surprised the pork industry is not any more involved in the eradication by setting up trap programs with farmers. My only guess is there is no benefit to the industry that allows these partnerships to evolve. Heck even a mobile slaughter where the proceeds can go to local food banks, something.

LSUTiga likes this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Killing food is frowned upon. It's a sign of white privelege I suppose. Have to throw a net over anything then lethal injection for your bacon or burgers. Even lettuce has awareness.