parking for 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerleg24, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I was poking with that tax reference.

And the Poms Poms are a dumb idea when the school needs money. Obviously.

2. Rex C.

Rex C. member

And that seems to be where we're headed. Tailgating has become a huge festival in past decade...seems like the crowds in 2010 are double from the ones in 1980-90s. It's nice that we have such a vibrant tailgating culture - but someone has to pay the costs of policing, managing, and cleaning up after these mini Mardi Gras events.

Of course the initial parking charges may be set too high, but that's another issue altogether. The current fee structure might stop a few people from coming, but most will probably complain, pay the fee, and still come and tailgate.

Yup. I think that overnight camping (which is very similar to tailgating) at National Parks and State parks used to be free also...but that damn sure isn’t the case anymore. Why isn't anyone complaining about that?

Despite all the tax and spend analogies, there is nothing Marxist about levying a fee to cover a cost. It's a fee, not a tax. If you want to access and use certain parts of campus, you'll have to pay. If anything, this is a perfect example of capitalism.

When a resource is managed via free and open access, it usually ends up being abused. Tailgating at LSU is no different. It has become a tangible example of the Tragedy of the Commons.

1 person likes this.
  3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I see more people parking where I park in the future.

The most awful part in all of this is when budgets start to grow again, and programs are funded, the fees will remain.

4. Rex C.

Rex C. member

Yes, but can you parallel park in the future?
    Or is that just another universe?

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

River Road here i come

6. kjun4LSU

kjun4LSU Founding Member

I agree. We went back on campus this past Sunday morning and it was trashed. We went out to the Parade Grounds and it literally smelled like a dump. I don't know what clean up costs but, it can't be cheap. I really wonder why people can't have some pride and care just a little bit more.

7. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

I dont see how the are gonna enforce the on campus parking...are they gonna post cops and road blocks on every road??? starting friday night??

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

im thinkinking it will be aolor coded card/pass that must be displayed on the dash. no card you get towed. one cop randomly walking around many lots looking for violators with tow trucks standing by.

if that is the case, we ca drive thru the oval, dump our tailgating supplies without parking, then park somewhere else. kinda like we do when they block off those spots for gameday or the lsu salutes.

9. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

What LSU(and Louisiana) doesn't have is the deposit for bottles/cans. In NY you have to pay a nickel for every can or bottle when you buy something. Then you save them and take them to get recycled and get your money back. It either A) makes everyone put the cans and bottles into garbage bags/boxes they came in to save or B) the poor, homeless guys will come the next day and grab them all for a few extra bucks. They would make a fortune at LSU! :D

10. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

I guess it will be like going to the drive-in back in the 50's and 60's. Also, satellite lots with transportation will likely blossom all over BR.