parking for 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerleg24, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kjun4LSU

kjun4LSU Founding Member

I thought the same thing but, dang being stuffed in the trunk, stuck in post game traffic. :rolleye33:

2. Rex C.

Rex C. member

If it's going to be $20-40 per person, then we'll definately see some trunk stow-aways, but I'm guessing it's a per vehicle charge.

So it comes out to $5-$10 per head for a group of 4. On the bright side, these new charges might increase carpooling and decrease traffic.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

That would be the logical approach, so I'm fairly confident they'll do the opposite.. :hihi:

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Central campus is already gated. All they have to do is man the gatehouses. Passes will be purchased on Fridays for early arrivers.

It will work like the present season parking passes. A cardboard hangtag for each game has to be on your rearview. Trailers will probably get a sticker.

LSU hires part-timers to crew the pay lot entrances. They will probably start working Fridays at 6PM instead of Saturdays at 6AM.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The charge will be per car, not per person. This brings out another LSU incentive . . . to get tailgaters to carpool more.

I think we will also see a lot of hotels and restaurants offering meal, drinks, and shuttle bus packages for games.

6. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

If they want to start charging for parking, fine. But don't charge season ticket holders an extra $350!!!! (7 home games) just to have crappy parking and still have long walks to the stadium.

NOW! If this was $20 a game and they're building a parking garage in the old Alex box lot. . . .I might be more willing to accept that as a means of funding it.

7. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

This is a fantastic idea & I mean that with 100% sincerity. LSU has been leaving money on the table for decades while every other major program has been making money hand over fist by simply doing things that make sense. My wife went to Tennessee & every time we go to a game she still shakes her head & says "I still can't believe that you not only can just drive onto campus on gameday, but you can park for free." Knoxville, Gainsville, Tuscaloosa, Athens...all of these schools are making millions off parking. LSU is too far behind the curve.

LSU fans have been spoiled rotten. From season tickets with no tradition fund donation required to free on campus parking. it has become the right rather than the privilege to get something for nothing.

Time for everyone to wake up & realize that this is the right thing for the University & for Athletics if we want to do all we can to keep up with the rest of the world.

1 person likes this.
  8. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

Who says they are targeting season ticket holders? There are plenty of people on campus every gameday that either pick up tickets from a scalper, have tickets given to them for free, or don't even go to the game.

9. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I never said they were specifically targeting season ticket holders. It's just that this plan happens to hit season ticket holders worse than others.

$20 for parking isn't that much for 1 game but $140 - $350 extra ontop of season ticket holders already expensive TAF and ticket fees is a bit much. It might not be targeting them but they get hit harder by it.

Now if they increased your season ticket price by $100 but gave you a dedicated parking pass that you can use. . .that might be worth it.

10. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

There will still be free parking around campus. You will just have to walk a little further than before. You may also have to move where your tailgate has been for the past few years if you want to avoid the parking fees.

And how would tacking $100 onto season tickets help? Not every single ticket holder drives to campus. Most carpool. Plus, you cannot think there are 92,000 parking spots around campus...plus spots for those who don;t even have a ticket.

Is it going to sting? Sure. Will it force some to change their gameday habits? Sure. But let's look at this realistically. if you have the disposable income to buy season tickets, plus frop at least a few hundred dollars on tailgating equipment, food, and drinks every game, an extra $40 won't kill you.