Patriotic celebrations causes kids to become republican

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rwilliams, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Kids exposed to patriotic parades and firework displays on the fourth of July causes them to be more likely republican when they grow older. Imagine that. A kid that learns to love his country and show patriotic pride and display respect to our flag leaning towards the republican right. I could have told them that without a harvard study.
    Fourth of July parades help make future Republicans, says study

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And rightfully so.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This "study" by two Harvard junior faculty is severely flawed, which is probably why they couldn't get it published in a scientific journal, but published it on the web instead.

First of all, it commits the logical fallcy of suggesting that correlation implies causation. It's only been out for a day, but boy is it going to get ripped apart when the challenges come in.

The study didn’t determine anything of significance and used seriously questionable methodologies – they used rain on the 4th of July as a proxy for participation! What they found is probably that areas that are predominately liberal (like the northeast and northwest) are more likely to have rain in July than areas that are predominately Republican (like the sun belt).

Does anybody seriously think that 8-year-olds watch the 4th celebrations because they are patriotic republicans or because they like to see fireworks. I guarantee that plenty of liberals watch the 4th of July Fireworks in Baton Rouge. The crowd is half black and they are not republicans. :lol:

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I bet if you went to a flag burning party and took a poll that it would be mostly liberal.
    I bet if you went to a patriotic celebration of our troops it would be mostly conservatives.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Like mrs. Obama said when Barry was nominated it was the first time in her adult life she was proud of her country.
    See , democrats are proud of what they want to turn this country into.
    Republicans are just proud of this country, peroid.
    Disclaimer: this is a personal opinion and there is no link. Yes red , I made it up:)

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What is a flag burning party? You complain how universities are liberal. Look what happened on campus when someone threatened to burn a flag. You have a vivid imagination. Republicans are no more patriotic than anyone else. Of course, ultra-nationalism and patriotism have been a hallmark of right wing extremists for two hundred years. Ja?

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering, before being sentenced to death at Nuremberg.

You forget how young the military is and that it is 30% minorities. Obama received nearly six times as much contribution money from troops deployed overseas in 2008 than did John McCain. If money talks the troops supported Obama. The brass is more conservative, the rank-and-file less conservative.

7. SabanFan

That's not why they watched, but the more precocious of them will understand why we celebrate the 4th and grow up to be productive conservatives and not rabble rousing liberals. Conservatives make money. Liberals make trouble.

Well, it was free.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I bet if you showed up at a Klan rally they would all be republican. Be fair man.

9. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Leftist race baiter? I bet if you went to cell block d at Angola most would be liberals.

10. SabanFan

They would be Nazis.