Paul:We need less big government, but we need the govt to tell us how many kids poor people can have

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Are you implying that people are choosing to be jobless so that they can cheat the government out of a couple thousands dollars every year?

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

People choose to do things for many different reasons and justify it in many different ways. Some have no choice at all. The harshness of life is thrust upon them. It is how a person responds that is important. Life is hard, it is shit, and it is unfair. The sooner people understand that the better off they will be. They won't have to blame someone else for their situation. It is life. Get up and get moving again. If someone shows you love and offers you a hand, take it graciously, get up, and get moving again. A hand is meant to help you up, not hold you up. Those footprints in the sand should not be God's or the Government's. It should be your own.

That has to be the place to start for all aid and assistance.

Also, along with the original subject, if you can't afford 1 child then don't have 2. If you can't afford 2 kids then don't have 3. And never have 4 fucking kids.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

For healthy people that are able to work, this is the law. Many of the homeless bums that we see on the street are not receiving government assistance at all because they are unwilling to work or stay sober. But many of our indigents are disabled, elderly, minor children, and mentally or physically handicapped. We can't make it difficult for them to get aid.

There is a move on now to deny food stamps to released felons. They are already going to find it hard to get a job with a prison record and if they can't get any food, they will have little choice but to return to crime, which is worse for the rest of us than some handouts. We must find a proper balance for the good of the nation. Get them enough aid, housing and training to get work or we will just be spending a hell of a lot more to feed and house them in prison.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  4. MLUTiger

You feel that unemployed people don't understand that "Life is hard, it is shit, and it is unfair."?

What constitutes being able to afford a child? Who enforces this?

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I like this natural law. It makes things so simple. I would never advocate cutting out assistance. By government and by charity, if we can't help someone up who has fallen on hard times, then we will not be able to have the society that our life and liberty demands.

I didn't see anything regarding this in the farm bill. Is this legislative or some grassroots thingy?

I believe that when you do your time you should be forgiven. A clean slate with the old one being filed away in case you did not learn your lesson. Otherwise, the judge should declare "2 years in Angola with the possibility of parole and a lifetime of this hanging over your head after you are released."

red55 likes this.
  6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

No. The simple fact that we can't blame anyone or make an excuse. That doesn't help. To say that life is hard and unfair because of those fuckers over there is not understanding that life is hard because it is. Life is difficult. As the Zen master would say, "Life is suffering" That is it. No more to the sentence. The former is more in vogue than the latter. When I said that we need to start with personal responsibility I did not just mean unemployed.

Can you feed, clothe, teach, and care for 1 child without support? Do you have money left over to have 2? After that, 3? Good for you. You are done. We have no more family farms to tend.

Edit: In summary, personal responsibility enforces this.

7. red55

8. red55

Well, we have already removed the incentive to have extra children in the welfare reforms, so teenage mothers won't be doing it for that reason. But they will still get pregnant like women always have, because both birth control and the best laid plans often go awry. Not much we can do about it without going Chinese and forbidding people to reproduce. Don't see that happening, do you? And we can't allow over-restrictive rules, either. Many women had their children during good times and later death, divorce or other hard times put them into poverty. All of us probably know a widowed former housewife in her 30's with no college, no marketable job skills, and dependent children to support. Most of them find a way out of the situation, but desperately need those food stamps in the interim.

We must be careful that the rules we enact to prevent lifetime and long-term dependency on aid doesn't also hurt the folks who are behaving properly but have a glitch in their lives that puts them on the dole for a short period.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Credit where its due, Red.... from the link you provided...
    In other words, Bill might have proposed it, but it took a Republican Congress to make it happen.

10. MLUTiger

Taking help from our government is not making an excuse. People pay into it, so why should they not accept help from it? I don't want to live in a society that ignores people who need the help. You will always have people take advantage of the system, but you can't simply get rid of the help it provides for hose who genuinely need it for the few who take advantage of it. Eventually, those people get caught.

No one in this country lives without the support of our government in some way, shape or form...

Yes, but to what standard of living? Most people I know can't afford a single child to the standard of living that I feel a child should be raised at, but who am I to go pushing my personal beliefs on others?

red55 likes this.