Pawlowski set to interview

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Jun 13, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Re: First official baseball head coach candidate

That's because there isn't much incentive to switch from one top program to another.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Miles went 11-2. Would you prefer to have had a "big name" coach and finish 9-3 or 8-4? Also, don't forget the early season difficlties Miles had to deal with. You get all caught up in the prestige factor and ignore results. Besides, outside of Louisiana, LSU ain't all that to most people. It's ignorant to assume a successful coach in an established program would just drop everything to have a shot at coaching at the almighty LSU.

I laugh at your arrogance.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If it made people feel better about the future of the program, I suppose that wouldn't be an unreasonable sacrifice. That's not to say I'm one of them. I don't think we'll know what CLM is truly made of until after this year. But the Peach Bowl definitely worked in his favor. There was a lot of talk about he and Jimbo not getting along very well, and that the friction was alleviated prior to the bowl. Who knows what affect that had on the outcome.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah, that TD pass Jimbo threw to Miles was a turning point.:hihi:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sadly, many do. Most of them are teenagers who have never experienced a 3 or 4 win season and think that 9-3 is grounds for firing.

The same people look at a quarterback like Russell who is 14-2 as a starter and say he is disappointing.

Some folks are only happy when they are bitching.

6. Contained Chaos

This is simply not true.

7. red55

There is always a certain amount of friction between a head coach and his coordinators. It's part of the job. Jimbo and Nick butted heads a lot, too, but they got the job done pretty well. We could have worse problems than coaches who are ambitious and determined to cover all the bases. A coach who only hires ass-kissers can not achieve beyond his personal limitations.

8. red55

Is Russell not 14-2 as a starter? Are there not many posts here with people complaining that Russell has been disappointing? I am making a general observation, not a personal one.

It is my OPINION that many of the same folks who are dissatisfied with Miles at 11-2 are the same ones who are disappointed with Russell at 14-2. I don't know what would satisfy those folks.

I ain't disappointed at all.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I hear it A LOT... every time I talk LSU football with someone who is a "casual fan." I get tired of explaining to them that if LSU can win with a guy who simply gets the ball to his backs' and recievers' hands, then why complain? Matt Mauck was a guy who I would say is, at best, a competent QB--and we won a NC with him. Our Defense was def the MVP that year, but it just proves that your QB doesn't HAVE to be a Heisman candidate to have success. I haven't seen anything from JR that worries me having him under center. Nothing. Quite to the contrary, I think he's a definite plus to have on our team, and you'd be dumb or high to think otherwise. I'm not saying that MF or RP are incompetent, but as far as I'm concerned neither are getting a shot at starting unless JR isn't healed in time for UL.

10. Contained Chaos

That's not what I'm debating.
    Again, not the point I'm contending. I'm one of the people that think JR has underachieved, and do not attribute the 14 wins to him alone. Take Pelini/Wroten/Williams out of the equation and that number would likely be much lower. But I do not think that a 9-win season would have been grounds for firing. And I've certainly never been dissatisfied with the 11-win season. That doesn't mean that I don't think that Russell has had his head up his ass.
    And this is what I'm telling you isn't neccesarily true.