pay for play

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by col reb, Apr 20, 2004.

1. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

They have a choice. They can goto school, take out loans, work crap jobs for little money and go into debt like everyone else. Get out of school with some sort of degree and fight like everyone else for the few good jobs out there OR they can goto school on an athletic scholly with all the benefits that have previously been discussed. Graduate from LSU with a degree of some sort and get to put on their resume that they played at LSU. Hey guys, with that on your resume you get bumped to the top of the list in Louisiana. That is all considering that they don't make it in the pros. Then they get to persue a career that all their training and experience at LSU supplied them, making a little more then the average LSU grad.

Sorry guys, but most students drive crap, go hungry and start their careers deeply in debt. Heck, I'm fixin to go 100k in debt and have sell all I own to go to grad school. Hey col reb, if you find that crawfish/beer team, holla. I'm sure I would make it and Skiping that tuition would be welcomed.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Jetstorm, your long post about supporting ambiguous amounts of a "stipend" are just pure poppycock...

A fulltime tuition currently costs $1,700 dollars. Multiply that times two it comes out to $3,500.00...If they take summer semester classes, round the total-just for tuition reimbursement-to $4,000.00

Student Athletes have five years to play four, so if you multiply out what it costs for a redshirt senior to go to school five years and graduate, while playing 4 years of eligiblity out, that comes out to:

$4,000.00 X 5= $20,000.00

Let's think about books. I'm going to CONSERVATIVELY price books (and anyone whose a current student or recent alumni can attest to this) at around $500 per semester. Multiplied by the three semesters of school that most athletes attend, and you come out to $1,500 dollars per year.

$1,500.00 per year x 5 years = $7,500.00

Meal plans at the University-again using CONSERVATIVE estimates-price out at around $500 per semester...Which equals out to $1,500.00 per calendar year.

$1,500.00 per year X 5 years = $7,500.00

Access to tutors, study halls, an academic center SOLEY for their gain aside from the other colleges, universities and other LSU supported educational resources is actually something one can't put a # on. Having someone literally meet with them weekly-whether they want to or not-is something that most college students would relish having once they graduated.

State of the art and leading edge health care...Well, I don't know about anyone out there, but let's ask someone who has their children on their health care plan...How much would it cost for five years of state of the art, cutting edge health care for your child?

My health care plan (Short/Long term disability/vision/dental/hospitilization/Rx Drugs/basic office visits) is about $80 bucks a month, times the whole year, it'll work out to about $1,000.00

$1,000.00 X 5 years= $5,000.00

So, let's add this all up...

$20,000.00 (Tuition)
    $7,500.00 (books)
    $7,500.00 (meals)
    $5,000.00 (health care)

We're not counting academic support, the ability to schedule your classes before ANY other student, special treatment from professors, study hall, tutoring labs and special assistance.

Those totals up top equal out to a grand total of....FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS...

If those kids can't see the value of that, then put a fricking price tag on the things they'll be receiving at jump street...Let them see what they're getting for free usually costs other people.

Let's also not take into account free footwear, free clothes, watches, stereos, and other household appliances that the LSU team gets for winning the Division, the overall SEC title, getting a bowl invite, etc...

I hate to say it, but I know for a fact that student athletes make MUCH more money in the offseason than I probably make at my job right now...and I work FULLTIME! I can also tell you that being a former LSU Football Player is just as good as using a fraternity to network-if not better-post graduation...Look at the internship that Rodney Reed got with AB Netterville, etc...

The bottom line, in my opinion on this matter, is screw collegiate athletes who think they should get a stipend...They get over $50,000 in freebies over 5 years..and I got and will get sh!t in comparison...

3. BB

BB Founding Member

Hey TE, you forgot to mention that dating all the choice women on campus doesn't have a dollar sign either... this we can't leave out.

4. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

I am pretty sure that the players do receive some type of stipend. Not positive, but I think that they do.