Payton and that dreaded timeout call

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Sep 14, 2014.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Anybody believe he called timeout because he heard Drew audibling to a run play (which was clearly going to get us a first down)?

Pass happy Sean is killing us this season.

And the defense looks like 2012 all over again.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Skip Bayless just said what I've been thinking....that maybe the 2013 standout defense of the Saints was the aberration, not the 2012 horrendous defense.

3. mctiger

@islstl Payton has often shown himself to be too pass-happy. Sunday was definitely one of those games. Six consecutive pass calls that resulted in negative yardage to start the game.

The Seahawks shut down the Saints O last year because they were just better. Shouldn't have been that way yesterday, but the Browns pretty much showed the blueprint for any team to slow them down....commit to taking away the pass and dare the Saints to beat you on the ground. Even if they can, Payton doesn't have the patience to do it.

fanatic and islstl like this.
  4. islstl

I could not have said it better myself.

Sadly, this is probably the best rush offense the Saints have had in the Payton era.

5. islstl

I wanna know what the fuck are we doing with our "all world" safeties?

I think Ryan is overthinking this and over complicating things on defense.

6. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Yeah, that timeout was puzzling to say the least. And while I agree that Payton gets too pass happy at times, the Saints did rush for 174 yards. What confuses me is why not give Ingram the ball more than 11 times? I mean, damn, I still don't fully trust him but he did average 7.5 yards a carry and for the young season he's averaging 6 ypc. You've got to ride that horse, man!

While I credit Payton (I really do think he's close to an offensive genius) I think we're seeing the effects of him getting stuck in what's worked in the past. It used to be that, in the NFL, you had to run to set up your passing game and the Saints (and many other teams) stuck to that philosophy no matter what. Then CSP came along and passed to set up the run and Brees knew the offense so well it was revolutionary. Now it seems he's stuck in the mindset that that's the only way to do it. But he's got a stable of running backs who run hard, with maybe Ingram leading the way, and I don't know that he can see he should run to walk up the safeties and linebackers. It's frustrating to say the least.

And speaking of safeties, @islstl you're absolutely right. Bird and Vaccarro have essentially disappeared. P. Rob is a problem, no doubt, and I'm certainly no expert, but again it looks to me like Ryan is stuck on getting pressure with the front four and playing zone behind it while essentially giving up the underneath routes instead of creatively bringing pressure and playing some man on the back end. Maybe P. Rob's deficiencies don't allow that to happen? Maybe there was too much emphasis on forcing turnovers? Maybe this defense really is that bad?

7. mctiger

Side note....ESPN just announced the Vikings have released a statement saying Peterson will play this week.

8. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Averaged 6 yards a carry yesterday, but still wanted to pass. It's mind boggling considering all we heard in the off season was about more of a committment to run the ball. Well, run it!

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

QFE!!