PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 19, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So my Dell I got 3 years ago crapped out on me, and I'm going to get a new laptop. I however despise Windows 8. I think it's the worst OS ever created. I'm probably just going to shell out another 3 or 400 on a MacBook Pro. What does everyone here use?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Macintosh.

Loaded Mac Pro at work, iMac at home, and a Macbook Pro laptop. The Mac OS is powerful UNIX system that will also run Windows, if you need it for some reason, and the Mac's all have fast Intel processors. The are rugged, trouble-free, low-hassle machines that last forever. I have owned Mac for 25 years and not one of them has ever failed. They all got upgraded when I covet something new. I used one for over 10 years and didn't even have a hard drive failure.

They cost more but you get what you pay for. I am upgrading to a Macbook Air soon. Half the size and weight of my old MacBook Pro, which wasn't heavy. It's barely bigger than my iPad.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Mac. My daughter has a Mac Air for school and it is an excellent piece of equipment. Now if I could have only reminded her for the 300th time to keep liquids and cups/glasses away from her Mac, I would be much happier and wealthier today.

4. LaSalleAve

Is it easy to put another stick of ram in the MacBook Pro? The one I'm looking at has an intel i5 2.5 ghz processing and 4g ram, I want at least 6g.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Recently finished the learning curve for mac. Will NEVER go back to windows. Can't add more to what red said but just do it. you will be happier a year later.
    There is a keyboard cover that fits nicely without taking anything away from function. Mamma dumped a glass of wine and the day was saved. Got it at Fry's but I am sure you can get it anywhere. I hate Fry's.

6. LaSalleAve

I'm already fully versed with the Mac operating system. So I'm good with that, I used an iMac for 5 years at work, and it's great with a normal mouse and normal keyboard. I was just wanting to see if there was anyone who preferred the PC to the Mac and why. I never had a problem with XP, Vista, or 7, but Windows 8 I just can't stomach.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Microsoft will be upgrading to 9.0 soon. Everybody hates 8

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

mac, yes its easy but make sure you can upgrade (how much, type). just need a phillips screwdriver.

windows 8 is so bad, they should quit the os business. developed for a touchscreen and regular pc combined.

get the macbook.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know how hard it is to upgrade the ram in a Mac. Supposedly you don't need as much ram in a Mac as you do in a Windows machine.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not easy to do shit inside a Macbook Pro other than change its battery, fortunately you really don't have a need to even do that. The Macbook Air has 4 gigs of Ram, which is fine for what I want it for--I have more power machines for cutting edge work. But the new Macbook Pro comes with 8 or 16 gigs and can handle almost anything.