PC Runs Amuck In College Baseball

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by G_MAN113, May 5, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

This is just plain misguided.

UI cancels game over nickname
    By Phil Davidson - The Daily Iowan
    Published: Tuesday, May 4, 2004

Adhering to a policy instituted 10 years ago, but not always followed, the UI athletics department recently canceled a baseball game with Bradley University of Peoria, Ill., because of the school's mascot.

The game was originally scheduled to be played today, but the athletics department canceled the nonconference game in February, recognizing that Bradley's nickname - the Braves - falls under the university's policy to not schedule nonconference games with teams that have American Indian mascots.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full story here:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/2004/05/04/Metro/Ui.Cancels.Game.Over.Nickname-677814.shtml

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

if your university mascot is braves, are your women's teams "lady braves" or "squaws"?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Although Bradley University agreed to change their mascot name to the "Liberals", Iowa officials continued to refuse to play the game fearing that the name "Bradley" would be offensive to homosexuals.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

LOL :)

The next thing is teams will be cancelling games with the University of San Francisco Dons, because they sound like La Cosa Nostra bosses...

...or PETA petitioning to cancel ALL games between teams with animals as their mascots....

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I'm not sure that isn't already happening. PETA is just wacko enough.

6. bayareatiger

MY bumper sticker says:

I love animals. THEY'RE DELICIOUS!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I have yet to meet a single Native American who honestly gives a crap about sports teams and college mascots named after tribes. They are much more concerned with doing things that will actually benefit their people.

The only people wringing their hands over this are PC liberal idiots who are obsessed with rewriting history and keeping our cultural divisions front and center and keeping us divided for all time.

And it's disturbing this movement is spreading. The University of Illinois is facing pressure to change it's Indian nickname, the Fighting Illini, and get rid of Chief Illinewek, their dress up mascot. The University of Louisiana-Monroe has already disposed of it's dress-up mascot, Chief Brave Spirit, and is still being pressured to change their nickname, the "Indians." And Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas and Northwestern State in Natchitoches are both facing pressure to get rid of their rivalry trophy, Chief Caddo, because it is "offensive" to Native Americans.

Boy, I fear the day when the true story about how LSU got the Tiger mascot starts getting lots of media play, and pressure is brought to change our mascot. This storm, if it doesn't subside, will engulf all of us if we aren't careful.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Classic...

I saw a bumper sticker in Dallas that said "Don't bear arms...Bear feet!" It made me wanna throw up.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If your university mascot is Bulldogs are your women's teams bitches?

10. bayareatiger

...if God didn't want us to eat animals...

THEN WHY DID HE MAKE 'EM OUT OF MEAT????