Pelini has Nebraska working toward a return to glory

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Mike in Memphis, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

From the December 3, 2009 Dallas Morning News:

The link: Pelini has Nebraska working toward a return to glory | Big 12 News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Pelini has Nebraska working toward a return to glory

2. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

He's doing well at Nebraska, and is bringing them back to the level of a powerhouse. I'm happy for him and wish him luck, unless he plays against us:geaux:

1 person likes this.
  3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

“…. Pelini may have Nebraska headed back toward the days when wherever that familiar red block "N" flag flew, it meant championships were on the line. "

Wrong, at Nebraska that N has always stood for Nowledge.

1 person likes this.
  4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Gotta love his gameday approach. Fire on the sidelines. I wish Elmer had half his gameday fire.

5. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I hope Pelini does well but I don't predict the return to glory. The days of Nebraska going to the Orange Bowl (undefeated) after playing a weak Big 8 schedule and occasionally winning are over. They now have to play in a tougher Big 12 AND win a conference championship.

IF they can do this they'll still have to play in the BCS title game AND win.

The state of Nebraska doesn't have enough high school talent to support a top program. Bo will have to successfully recruit OOS in order to hang with the big boys on an annual basis.

Here's a reason for this year's success...

Florida Atlantic (W)
    Arkansas State (W)
    Virginia Tech (L)
    LA-Lafayette (W)
    Missouri (W)(North)
    Texas Tech (L)
    Iowa State (L)(North)
    Baylor (W)
    Oklahoma (W)
    Kansas (W)(North)
    Kansas State (W)(North)
    Colorado (W)(North)

The Big 12 North is not very good and the win over Oklahoma (although nice) is NOT the same Oklahoma team we've seen the past decade.

I think he'll do well each year but have a VERY difficult time winning a Big 12 Chaampionship AND BCS Championship.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

well, he is playing for a BCS game and we aren't.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That's true. But he wouldn't be playing for a BCS game if he'd have had to have played Florida and Alabama. Plus, that Nebraska team would've lost to us and probably several other SEC teams...

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Also true, but that's not Nebraska's fault. I think we would beat them, but if thy do beat Texas, who would have thought that Bo Pelini would get back to the BCS before Miles did.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

As you all probably already know, Nebraska needs a better offense. They are ranked somwhere in the 90's I think. The D is going to have to play exceptionally well to give them a chance to win the game. But you still have to play the game. If Nebraska loses, it would be fun to pull for them in the Cotton vs. Ole Myth.

10. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

No doubt...but that's not how I interpreted "retun to glory". Considering their history I would believe they're attempting to compete for National Championships and I just don't see that happening unless their recruiting improves.

Winning the Big 12 North is quite different than the Big 12 South, SEC West, or SEC East. I also don't expect Oklahoma to repeat this year's performance next year.