Pelini Interviewed by NU Monday

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TC, Nov 27, 2007.

1. TC

TC Le Big Mac

This is being reported in Lincoln's Journal Star. Perhaps this bodes well for Saturday. If I were NU, I'd wait to see what kind of gameplan Bo comes up with to stop the explosive UT offense, led by a 1st round NFL QB.

http://journalstar.com/huskerextra/football/doc474b886110525764884248.txt

Can the Tigers get to Ainge? Can they stop the leading receiver in the conference? Can they put the clamps on the bruising Arian Foster? Basically, can Bo's defense deliver a championship-caliber performance?

If not, I'd hire someone else. :lsup:

2. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

If he can do all that, people around here will call for his head for not doing it all season... lol

3. Purple & Gold

Purple & Gold Founding Member

It is reported in today's paper that Miles is denying that Pelini was interviewed?:confused:

Article titled "Miles denies Pelini had interview" and then suggest that Miles denied that Pelini travelled to Atlanta on Sunday for interview. If the prior reports are accurate that the plane sat on the tarmac for two and a half hours in BR on Sunday and presumably Pelini was interviewed here, certainly seems ill advised to make suggestions that, although technically accurate, are somewhat misleading.

Am I missing something? Did Pelini interview or not? If he did, why continue to deny it? No better way to kill a story than to admit the truth.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Miles isn't denying the interview, he's denying Pelini left town. They probably conducted the interview in BR.

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Neb isnt going to wait and see what Pelini does Saturday before making a decision. Thats just stupid. They will either hire him or someone else before Saturday unless negotiations with their primary candidate go bad and they have to go to plan B.

6. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I don't think it's stupid at all. His defenses are consistently good but have never been dominant. Remember the biggest game of his career, when he was DC at Oklahoma? USC 55, OU 19.

He's had three years to try to figure out a way to stop Darren McFadden. Three strikes there.

This year, his D let Brandon Cox look like Joe Montana and Brent Schaeffer look like Michael Vick.

I think he's a good coach. But there are lots of questions still. It would make sense for NU to want him to put an impressive presentation on display Saturday night. Like one last bullet on a résumé. You can bet they'll be watching.

7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Do you really think that Neb is basing their coaching hire on one game? LOL...good grief. They are making a decision based on a body of work and whats the best fit for Neb. There is no way Tom Osborne is betting Nebs future on the outcome of one game.

1 person likes this.
  8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Exactly. And his defensive knowledge is just one of several things needed to be a head coach. I would expect someone like Osborne to look more closely at his managerial abilities, recruiting philosophy, people skills, etc.

Xs and Os is just one component, and may not be the most important one for a head coach.

9. TC

TC Le Big Mac

Okay. So if NU hasn't hired anyone by Saturday afternoon, and the Husker faithful sit down to watch the SECCG on CBS, and Eric Ainge lights up the LSU D for 350 and 3 TDs while Arian Foster rumbles for 150 and a score of his own, you think that won't affect Pelini's chance of becoming HC at Nebraska?

After the terrible season of defense they just endured?!

Please. :insane:

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Dude, that is just a ridiculous notion. I can see it now. Tom Osborne sitting in front of the TV with his legal pad taking notes on how Pelini's defense performs while marking his list of pros and cons depending on how each play turns out. :lol:

Neb will hire a coach within the next 48 hours and it wont have anything to do with saturday night. If they dont hire a coach within the next 48 hours it wont be Pelini.