Pellet Guns

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by KyleK, Oct 28, 2009.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

2. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

I've never used one, but supposedly they are awesome. I like the one that uses a cup for a shotgun-like effect.

The Sheridan and Benjamin are basically the same, maybe even exactly the same except for the name. Both really good.

I would go for the crack barrel over having to pump a few times especially if you are drinking. RWS (aslo crack barrel) was another good brand, but I dont know if they are still around.

I forgot the brand, but there are .22 rimfire rounds that are very quiet. I think they are called "smokeless rounds" or something like that.

Last season I shot a squirrel with a .410. I had a good 30yd shot but decided to wait to get a better one. Mr. Bushytail continued to jump closer until he was less than 10ft away above me on a 45 degree angle. You probably couldnt have thrown him as far as he flew when I shot him.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if you're going for straight-up fun id suggest a blowgun. we used to kill all kinds of things with those. cost about 10 bucks so you could each have your own and darts are reusable. at least the ones you find.

you can make those too if you buy the orange balls with the wire and cut it. those are cheap as well.

regarding cleaning them, thats how i was taught when i was about 10. comes right off.

if you get a pellet gun, get a benjamin pump .22 cal. those things last forever.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I've cleaned a thousand squirrels and never once removed a gland. I toss 'em if they are gut shot though. That'll ruin the whole pot. You've got to dig those glands out of a coon, though.

That's exactly how I learned and how I've always done it.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

think he was talking about a coon. you can just rip those glands out with your hands once you know where they are.

but boy if you dont, you'll know it when you smell it cooking.

or attempting to eat it.

reminds me, these dudes who lived next to us growing up got busted with close to 500 robins. something like 75 bucks apiece.

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Not sure if they were wimpy or not, but they were kinda low and they would look directly into the light and their eyes glow. Alot of the time I was just unloading in the facial region and they would hang and ultimately drop after getting popped a bunch.

They wouldn't necessarily be dead when they dropped out of the tree either.

They still mess with his chickens but not near as much as they used to.

The foxes are after them now.

I won't shoot a fox (not that they would let me get close enough anyways). I like foxes.

I'm not sure what the deal is but pre-Katrina I RARELY saw foxes around here....NOW I swear I probably see 5 per week....and not just in my neighborhood...I see them all around the entire town.

7. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I remember when I was a kid I had a crappy Daisy, but my friend had a Benjamin Sheridan and it was really nice.

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I had a Daisy Buffalo Bill lever action. It was so low powered, you could see the BB come out. We had BB gun wars w/ guns like that. Only rule was you had to shoot from the belly down. Good times...

I remember trying to kill a squirrel w/ that thing. Long story short, I got w/i 6 or 8 feet of it. Shot. BB bounced off. Man that thing sucked for killing.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I was referring to coons. KyleK was commenting on Cajun's story about coons. The last time a ate coons, they were bbq'd and someone had punctured the gland, wanted to vomit.

10. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I killed a rabbit with my Daisy pump when I was like 11. You should have seen the surprise on everyones face when I left into the woods with a BB gun (didn't even use pellets) and came back with a dead rabbit.