Penn State: Know Thy Enemy

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Dec 24, 2009.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Based on the AP Preseason Polls, these were the Preseason rankings of LSU and the teams we ended up facing in our recent bowl matches:

2004: #4 LSU vs #19 Iowa (lost)
    2005: #5 LSU vs #9 Miami (won)
    2006: #8 LSU vs. #2 Notre Dame (won)
    2007: #2 LSU vs. #11 Ohio State (won)
    2008: #7 LSU vs. #21 Georgia Tech (won)
    2009: #11 LSU vs. #9 Penn State (?)

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

they were right about hester and smargichek, the problem for them was the other 21 around them.

3. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

It's Samardzija or whatever and he's a pitcher for the Cubs now.

4. Manxome_Lion

Manxome_Lion Freshman

Great Work

It was great reading, Y'all are welcome to visit the BWI board if you wish, a great eclectic PSU football (and everything else under the sun) board.

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

Look forward to your review of our offense. Just hope you won't have time to review our Special Teams! Hope to lear more about YOUR team with the time spent on this board. Looking forward to the game, a real intriguing match-up.

5. psumike

psumike Freshman

Great job with your research and analysis of my beloved Nittany Lions. I wish someone on our side would do as good as job reviewing the Tigers. Best of luck in the game although of course I want my Lions to prevail.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Free Safety Drew Astorino (3rd-year/redshirt sophomore), 2009 Honorable Mention All-Big Ten, 2008 Academic All-Big Ten. He's responsible for making the defensive calls in the secondary. #4 on the 2009 team in tackles (behind the three LBs). He also returned seven punts this season (7.86 return average). NFL Draft Scout projects him as the #20 free safety available in the 2012 Draft. According the NFL Draft Scout, he's been clocked at a 4.37 forty (sub-forty speed) in the 40... almost as fast as Penn State CB AC Wallace's 4.34 forty.

CFN in their preseason analysis: Drew Astorino, who quickly took on the leadership role this spring and appears to be ready to shine now that he has more responsibility. While he's not all that big ... and he's just a [redshirt/3rd-year] sophomore, he produced when he saw time [in 2008] making 39 tackles with two picks and five broken up passes. A tremendous athlete with great range, he'll be all over the field.

In high school: 2006 Pennsylvania Class AAA Player-of-the-Year. Led his high school football team to a 2006 Pennsylvania 3A State Championship (scoring the game-winning fourth-quarter touchdown in the 28-23 victory in the championship game). Did the same thing with for his high school basketball team, led them to a 2007 Pennsylvania 3A State Championship (he hit the game-winning shot with :02 left to play, giving his school a 57-55 victory in the championship game).

[​IMG]
    2008: Joe Paterno yells at Drew Astorino (28) during Saturday's practice.

[​IMG]

7. OhioTigerFan

OhioTigerFan Founding Member

Great job JohnLSU on the scouting report!!! As a Penn State fan (and LSU) I'm ashamed to admit that you pointed out some stuff I wasn't aware of! Your hard work is appreciated.

8. LSUFAN910

LSUFAN910 Founding Member

With all of the post about Penn State, is this a LSU board or a Penn State board? :huh:

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Yeah, I always get fellow Tiger fans that want me to quit posting scouting reports about the other team we are playing. But we do have to play them, so why would you not want to know about them? Also, nobody is making you read this thread. You can simply not read it.

10. indynittany

indynittany Freshman

Thanks John. Very nice work!

A couple of tidbits:

Jack Crawford (Mr. Clean) isn't making a fashion statement. He suffers from a condition called Alepecia, in which all of your hair falls out. Also, he's from England. He came over here to play basketball and never played a game of footballl until his junior year in high school.

Josh Hull (#43) came in as a walk on. He carries a 3.57 gpa in environmental engineering. He's taken a lot of heat from the faithful. He stepped in for the injured Sean Lee last year and struggled at times. This year he was expected to lose his job to either the returning Lee or Mike Mauti (Rich Mauti's son and Louisiana native). Unfortunately, Mauti went down with a knee. Hull has really improved this year. Considering the high profile LBs PSU has on its roster, Josh is an amazing story.

Jerome Hayes (#5) is rounding back into form after 2 ACL injuries. He's definitely a fan favorite and may petition for a 6th year. I believe he's a graduate student.