per Coach Saban: Running backs a concern

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by occstud, Jul 18, 2003.

1. occstud

occstud Freshman

I have was reading this morning on DandyDon that Coach Saban mentioned in a radio interview that running backs were a concern of his. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what this means. Concern is a very strong word for the amount of talent that I was under the impression the Tigers have.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I read that too. Saban did say something good about Carey though. I would think that with Addai and Carey, and the freshmen coming in (A. Broussard, Vincent, Edwards) we would be alright. I know DandyDon said the reports of Alley Broussard being out of shape were false and that he looked very good last week. Also, I would think that there would be more intense competition this year since there is no incumbent starter. Maybe Saban is trying to send a message that these guys need to step it up.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

It may be a concern since noone has emerged as a clear leader of the pack. All these guys are super talented but we need one or two guys to be able to seperate themselves from the rest.

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I think Addai is a solid RB and will do good next year if he is allowed 25 carries. I would like to see Jimbo put the FB Shawn Jordan into the mix. Maybe he can pound the line like Mike Alstott does in Tampa Bay. By the way, I don't know about everyone else, but I am very happy that we didn't lose Coach Saban from drowning on vacation, can you imagine how bad that would have rocked this program?

5. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

All the hype has been about Auburns RB's. People are going to be surprised this year. Let's not get wild about this next comment..I did not think towtruck was that great of a back. I realize he fought injuries the last two seasons. He was a power back, more of a fullback to me. IMO, by mid season, the current backs will be steady and will shine.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think Nick is blowing smoke. Our RB's are inexperienced, that's all. Since none of our opponents really has a good book on them, Nick sure isn't going to enlighten them.

The man in the houndstooth hat used to do this every year.

7. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

I agree with red55. From what I've seen of Addai he's looked really good and I think he is ready to be the starter.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Well, who's to say what's his definition of "concern". I mean, he could mean depth or perhaps he's concerned about the experience that the group has as a whole--which, if you ask me, they don't have a lot of--except for Addai.

I wouldn't let it worry you...