Per WAFB - Trent Johnson New Basketball Coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sneakyd, Apr 9, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Stanford was good when Montgomery left for the Warriors but it is tough to continue momentum at a middle of the pack school in terms of prestige. I would imagine they were pretty deflated to see their coach leave...and they lost their talent too. Plus it makes recruiting more difficult.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Love it!

You know what. I didn't see this coming, but here's what you need to know:

"Johnson had preliminary talks with LSU officials last weekend in San Antonio at the Final Four, according to sources, and the negotiations quickly heated up.

Johnson has taken two teams (Nevada and Stanford) to the Sweet 16 in the past five years and is one of the most accomplished African American coaches in the country.
    He is the first black men's basketball coach at LSU. In four seasons at Stanford, Johnson was 80-48 overall and 45-27 in Pac-10 play."

I like the hire. As I guessed, Alleva felt more comfortable making a more "experienced" guy the target.

1. Johnson has proven himself at two decent programs. (Funny thing is I remember when he was there at Nevada, and recruiting against Brady for big men).
    2. As a low-50s age guy, he demands the respect of Pierre, Treloar and Dollar. I like his ability to keep Butch on staff.
    3. He's built his game around big men, and that's going to play well with current big name recruits.
    4. He's got a very good record in a hoops conference.
    5. AND, from what I can tell, folks seemed to like him as a character guy--he's the first black coach at LSU. And, that means something, IMO.

You look at this, and LSU's getting an older, more proven Anthony Grant. :yelwink2:

Here's more bay area reaction...

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2008/04/09/stanfords-trent-johnson-talking-to-lsu/

All of this said, the deal's not announced or done, folks. I'm not calling it done until it's done. But, Alleva, you're making some ballsy calls.

:geauxtige TRENT JOHNSON. A NEW ERA. WELCOME!

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Contrary to Tigerbait, I'd respectfully disagree. :)

Having known athletes at Stanford, the answer to this question is yes. It is generally more difficult to recruit players to Stanford. Especially football and hoops. The academic standards are tougher, first. Second, although there's a lot of money at Stanford, it's generally a "student-first" school, athlete second school. This ain't no USC kind of pay your players, and lavish them with gifts, kind of place. Kids at Stanford know going in that it is going to be a hard, hard time. It's worth it to them for the IVY league degree of the west, but UCLA and Stanford rarely go head to head on recruiting. The kid Green (?) from Austin that Stanford signed, was actually recruited by LSU briefly. Usually, Stanford is happy with one or two top 100s, and alot of role players/scrappers.

Johnson was to some extent always going to be under Montgomery's shadow out there, and had to think that he had a better chance to make it to the Final Four at LSU. Good hire, if it gets done.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

As I'm hearing myself speak, this is also important--especially in the vein of what Alleva is trying to bring to LSU. Academics (i.e., graduation rates) are going to be an increased emphasis at the school. And, what better ambassador to that than a guy who coached at Stanford. Add that to the list of items.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yelling at them is one thing. Berating them to the point of them wanting to leave is another. :thumb:

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Sounds like a good hire to me. As I recall, The Hat wasn't exactly first on everyone's list when we started that process, and it seems to have worked out well. Johnson has cred, no doubt. One thing I'm curious about....would it be considered a lateral career move to go from being The Anne and Tony Joseph Director of Men's Basketball (check his Stanford bio under "Position") to being The Head Coach?

http://gostanford.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/johnson_trent00.html

7. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Looks like a solid hire to me, I'm happy with it.

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thats a pretty good hire, I have watched this guy at other programs and he seems to be a stand up guy and a good coach. I like the way he coaches as far as Xs and Os on the floor.

9. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

You are correct, it is harder. It is like Notre Dame for football in a way, but if Stanford had that prestige it wouldnt be a problem.

My point was there are just as many things holding them back like facilities and prestige...as in it wasn't just academics. I was trying to say he could recruit well and he had many obstacles in front of him there. I just didn't say it very well.:thumb: Actually I didnt say it at all. :huh:

And I actually grew up with a current Stanford athlete. But he is one of those Pac-10 sissy track guys. ;)

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Although doubtful, maybe Johnson can convince Randolph to return. I don't think he has signed with an agent.