Per WAFB - Trent Johnson New Basketball Coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sneakyd, Apr 9, 2008.

1. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Ok, so tell me something guys. Honestly, why would he leave a good program at Stanford (where he's been to consecutive NCAA tournaments) to come to LSU while our program is down?

He seems like a West Coast guy .... this is SEC country!!!

His history at Nevada and Stanford both suggest that he's a good builder. Is that his M.O.???

Someone, NICELY, explain this to me please.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Money talks ? From what I've read the AD @ Stanford was supposed to have an extension in place after the season. Two weeks passed and no deal was in place. My guess is that LSU came in and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

3. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Could be the case.

Any idea what he was making at Stanford? I know I read somewhere that the LSU Ath Dept was looking to pay $1 mill + per year for its new coach.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Appears he is making less than $1 mill per:

It is hard to fault Johnson for leaving, of course - LSU is a considerable step up on the coaching ladder, not because the SEC is a harder place to make one's nut, but because the pay and resource aid are significantly better (the folks in Baton Rouge were flabbergasted when they learned that Johnson wasn't making a million bucks a year, let alone be in position to make with any new deal). And let's face it, coaches commit to the place they work until then day they don't work there; it is the nature of the beast, and any fanboi/fangirl who thinks Johnson has somehow shamed himself by leaving the Stanford cocoon may need to leave the cocoon him or herself.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/09/SPSJ102JFR.DTL

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I talked with two people in the media today..one from SF Chronicle and one from Foxsports.com and both said he is making in the neighborhood of $600,000-$700,000

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Could you imagine the backlash if a white coach had been hired and someone said "at least he's white"? I don't care if he's fluorescent green as long as he can coach.

1 person likes this.
  7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

At least he is a man.... And straight.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

are we sure?

9. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

The people I have spoken with feel it is a real coup. It certainly came out of left field. An article in yesterday's Advocate on the coaching situation did not even mention him.

10. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

last time we hired someone the media didn't expect, it was saban, that one turned out o.k.

On paper, it looks like a really good hire. I think he's got a good shot at being successfull.