Perrilloux still interested.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Dec 26, 2004.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Depending on who we get and if the current staff is still interested in recruiting we may still have a really good recruiting class. This program is still in great shape for who wver the next coach is, lets just hope finds us another winner.

Perrilloux: LSU 'isn't losing much ground'
    Prized quarterback is keeping an eye on Tigers' staff
    Sunday, December 26, 2004
    By William Kalec
    Staff writer

East St. John quarterback Ryan Perrilloux wasn't surprised when he heard LSU coach Nick Saban had reached terms with the Miami Dolphins on Saturday.

"Oh, shoot, I would have took the job, too, if I were him," Perrilloux said. "It was a perfect situation to walk into, and those don't come along every day.

"But LSU isn't losing too much ground. Coach Saban is a cool coach, but I wasn't making my decision based on just Coach Saban. I was making it based on everybody: the school, the staff and the players."

Saban's decision -- nearly two weeks in the making -- probably couldn't have come at a worse time for LSU, considering the recent momentum it had accumulated in the Perrilloux sweepstakes.

Since September, two months after Texas snagged a commitment from the premier prospect in the country (according to ESPN.com), Perrilloux had gradually become more receptive to LSU, due largely to the Tigers' aggressive recruiting. Saban was the only head coach of the schools recruiting Perrilloux to call regularly since staffs were allowed to contact potential recruits. Offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher stayed longer than any other in-house visitor when he showed up Dec. 15. Though Fisher distinctly promised nothing, Perrilloux said that night he believed Saban would stay at LSU for at least two more seasons.

"It's real important to me that the coaching staff doesn't break up," said Perrilloux, who has a framed picture of himself and Saban in his living room. "If the staff breaks up, it's going to be a real horrible situation. I guess I just have to sit back and see what they're going to do with the program, because it's kind of messing everything up with Coach Saban leaving so late."

Perrilloux's older brother, Romell Anthony, said before East St. John's first playoff game that he was impressed with LSU's ability to cultivate Rohan Davey and Matt Mauck into NFL quarterbacks. Interest also continued to grow when redshirt freshman quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell and Matt Flynn failed to cement themselves as the certain starter for 2005.

Anthony was instrumental in deciding what high school Perrilloux attended and has extensively researched the pros and cons of each school recruiting his brother. Perrilloux said Anthony's opinion would carry a lot of weight leading up to Feb. 2, signing day.

Perrilloux is unsure how Saban's departure will affect his scheduled visit to LSU in late January, especially if a replacement is not named quickly. Perrilloux intended to fit the trip in midweek, leaving the weekends for Mississippi State, Florida State and Miami. He has already visited Texas.

Florida was the first school actively pursuing Perrilloux to change its head coach, when Ron Zook was fired at midseason. Even with the hiring of Urban Meyer, Perrilloux has lost most of the early-season interest he had in the Gators' program.

"LSU is not out of the race," Perrilloux said. "But I have to watch what they do."

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

This is great news, goes to show that the institution is bigger than any 1 man.

3. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

I've always thought that Jimbo was much more of a factor in recruiting RP than Saban, Perrilloux seems to be much more concerned with a teams offensive coordinators (which is why I think he won't be going to Texas once Davis gets fired). Does anybody know if there is any chance of Jimbo Fisher returning to LSU as OC? I think he'd much rather be in the college game than the pro game.

4. philter

philter Founding Member

That quote makes it seem as though he has already committed to LSU heh. Why would 'his decision' to go to Texas be based on the LSU school, staff, and players ...while at the same time saying Nick leaving didn't make LSU lose 'too much ground'. Hell, if he committed to Texas, how could LSU lose any more ground?

Seems like a Freudian slip to me.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

He also said a lot depends on the staff staying together. I think if a new coach comes in and cleans house or if Saban raids the staff heavily we will be back to ground zero with RP.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I still think he is headed to Texas when the recruiting season is over.

7. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

Greg Davis isn't going to be fired this year.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. I think he was making a generalization using LSU as an example. He probably looks at every school's staff and players, interested in recruiting him.

...But I will say that it's still a very positive sign that he hasn't been swayed one way or the other with learning of Saban's decision.

9. conradj

conradj Founding Member

It is believed by some close to the situation that Texas isnt even a factor. They are more worried about FSU. Just relaying what I was told. I dont see why he doesnt just decommitt if thats the case. Maybe he is holding that scholarship offer as long as he needs to. :confused:

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Rivals did an article about Ryan P. on December 23rd in which he states

I still think Texas leads

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=371769