Personal Foul Explanation Call

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, Sep 18, 2004.

1. SC Bayou Bengal

SC Bayou Bengal Freshman

Okay, if that is the rule, then why do we even kick? Most blocks occur from guys jumping in the middle, not coming from the sides. If they can't jump to block, then let's just give teams an automatic 7 points for TDs and make it that FGs cannot be tried inside the 30 yard line. I just love how they say they are looking for ways to make the games more exciting for the fans or are protecting guys from getting hurt. Fans hate the rules changes and guys still get hurt. I don't recall anyone ever getting hurt because a 190 lb guy fell on a 300 lb guy. Let's make it exciting for the fans and keep people from getting hurt...eliminate defenses, set both offenses up at the opponents 45 yard line and see who can score the most points in 4 15 minute quarters. Sounds exciting and no chance of anyone getting hurt. GET REAL, this is football, you can't protect everyone from getting hurt, nor will you ever please the fans, so just leave it alone.

2. MattJones

MattJones Freshman

I agree, I hate when refs try to take over the game.

Didn't a play very similar to this happen last year when the colts played the buccaneers when the colts made that huge comeback? I think Simeon Rice jumped to block a field goal and they gave him a penalty for either landing on his players back or the opposing players back,

3. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

This rule has been used in the NFL for years, but it is new for college football this season. The rule is prevent players off the line from using lineman as vaults toward blocking kicks. You can run forward and leap straight up, you just cannot lean forward and land into the lineman. It's the same exact rule in the NFL, it's also the same one that stung the TB Bucs on MNF one night a few years ago. I also believe this rule is used in high school football in some states. My dad is a ref, so I knew right away what the call would be.

4. LSUDAN

LSUDAN Founding Member

From what ESPN said is you can't fall on the opposing teams back. Prude hit his own lineman not Auburn. The rule need to be explained by the ref better.

LSUDAN

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

It's in the rule book, the same rule book every coach and player gets before the season. I think it is on the internet now. However, it should be better explained to fans. It was confusing while watching the game because no one understood what happened. I just had a feeling it was the same call that decided the Bucs MNF game.

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

It's gonna become a free kick like a free throw in basketball. WHo thought of this crappy rule??

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

As I posted in another thread------what does this do to the db taking a running start and jumping as high as he can in an attempt to block the xp or fg? Should we all start wearing pogo shoes? I agree that a player should not be allowed to use the backs of the linemen to gain height but this sucks. So we do what? Have two linemen lock arms and throw the db up like the cheerleaders do?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The rule was designed to prevent backs from leaping up and coming down on linemen with their cleats. But it also outlaws coming down hands-first, as Prude did.

I just don't see coming down on your hands as a personal foul. Players push with their hands against each other the whole game. Running backs leap up and come down on linemen at the goal line a lot. Players dive onto a pile all of the friggin' time.

The rule needs to be amended. Coming down with your cleats should be a personal foul. Coming down with your hands is just football. :cuss:

9. Halekala

Halekala Founding Member

It was horrible way to lose against Auburn. We played our heart out and lost because of a bone-headed call. Who was the ref who threw the flag?

After all said and done we need to execute better. We were lucky to win Oregon St. game, and downright unlucky to lose to Auburn. This year I wanted just a SEC Championship because that's what our goal should be to begin with and the rest will fall into it places. Is there any way we still can be SEC West Champion?

H

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Auburn always has trouble with Ole Miss. Georgia is entirely capable of beating them, it ain't like they whipped our ass or anything. They eked out a one-point win at home.

But I sure don't know who will give them that third SEC loss. Arkansas doesn't look like it has the stuff.