Personnel changes vs. schematic changes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by terry cox, Oct 3, 2004.

1. terry cox

terry cox Founding Member

Now that we know more about where we stand relative to a couple of good teams, what do we do to get better?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Our D-line doesn't look like they can get the pressure on the QB like last year and Georgia was able to pick up the blitz against us which made our DB's more vulnerable.
    We might have to not blitz so much and play a bend but don't break defense.

I'm not saying this will happen but I know the coaches will fix our problems.
    Then again I don't think we will face a team as good as Georgia the rest of the year
    so our defense might work perfectly the rest of the year.

Its time to get the young guns more experience for next year because I don't think
    we will win or lose anymore games this year no matter who's at QB.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

#71, I can't think of his name at the moment, but on the offensive line - he has been a big dissapointment to me so far this year. He is letting guys get through left & right. He just falls to the ground and lets them get around him. He isn't playing with any heart.
    We need to start to establish some seniority on this team. The older guys aren't stepping up. Nobody is playing consistently. We don't have a QB to lead the team. It seems that we only have Bowe, a sophmore I remind you, to lead the Wide Receivers. And running backs... All that talent we speak of, yet nobody is performing to their potential... I mostly blame our O-line & QBs' inability to pass for that though. This team doesn't have people to look up to, it doesn't have people to lead them. Nick can say all he wants about not needing a leader, but he knows that without the guidance of older players - it takes these young guys a while to grasp things.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Nate Livings, but he isn't the only one on the O line not playing up to par especially in pass protection. The D line has also had a huge drop off from last year. I expected the D line to miss Lavalais and Hill but not nearly as bad as they have because of the huge amount of big time linemen we have brought in in the last 4 years. I actually thought the O line would be better this year, WRONG the O line has struggled a ton. Every aspect of the team is not playing up to par but it all starts up front and that is where we seem to be hurting the most. Joe Montana would not have had success yesterday with the blocking our OL did. Some of these highly recruited linemen that have been here 3 or 4 years should be able to come in and play up to par but for some reason they have not stepped up.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Rodney Reed and Stephen Peterman.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

If our DL can not put pressure on the QB better we need to play more zone coverage. We have the speed to successfuly do it but I am not sure if our overall schemes call for it.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now...Claude Wroten has not nearly lived up to the hype he had coming in. Kyle Williams has been fairly
    consistent, but Marcus Spears, who was counted upon to lead this "D", has not. And Melvin Oliver is a huge dropoff defensively from Marquise Hill.

8. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

The Offensive Line has been downright awful. Nate Livings couldn't have blocked UGA VI if he lined up across from him. And, how can a "leader" like Whitworth continue to get costly penalties and make costly mistakes - he's suppose to be an All-American candidate? Our Defensive Line is getting absolutely no pressure on the QB. And our DBs were absolutely abused by Greene & Co. How many times will Jesse Daniels forget to cover someone - after all it was only the 5th game of the year!!!
    I can live with defeats where the Tigers giver their all, but I really never thought I'd see a Nick Saban team pack it in. After the opening drive of the 2nd half, when Whitworth got the holding penalty then the sack forced us to punt the Tigers gave up and that's what disturbs me. Young teams have a tendancy to ride that emotional roller coaster but players have got to take some pride in themselves as football players and not allow the team to be embarrassed on national TV. I didn't see that PRIDE, either as an LSU Tiger or just as a football player on Saturday and that really concerns me, especially going into Florida this Saturday.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, Nick just named him Defensive Player of the Game.

Saban Addresses Media at Weekely Luncheon

"Claude Wroten played extremely well defensively, made some plays, played with a lot of effort."

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I thin Spears has done very good as has Williams. UGA ran to the left on almost every running play that they made yardage on.