Peyton took a pay cut

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by diamondheadtiger, Mar 5, 2015.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

What you gonna do Drew? Skills have diminished, so should the $$...

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Read somewhere this morning - can't remember where - that DB has the single highest cap number in the league this season.

The problem with convincing him to take a pay cut is that he can argue - rightly, IMO - that in terms of performance, he was underpaid for his entire first contract with the team. Saints fans would have thrown some pretty ridiculous numbers around if asked - say, in 2005 - how much is a Super Bowl championship worth paying for? Might the answer have been, $26.4 million, 5 years after we win it?

All that said, yes, I hope he will follow Peyton's lead and restructure.

fanatic likes this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

They earned it. Wouldn't give shit back. Well maybe I would but don't expect it.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They don't take pay cuts. They just spread it out over more years to get under the cap. Peyton and Tom Brady will be getting paychecks long after they retire.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Right, and remember during his contract negotiation, the consensus from the fans was pretty much 'give him whatever he wants'. Well now that's coming back to bite us in the a$$.

That's one thing I didn't understand about releasing Pierre Thomas. Everyone just assumes it was a cap move, but PT's salary really wasn't that big of a hit, compared to others. They really didn't save that much (less than $1m, IIRC), so it doesn't make much sense. Especially when the head coach says the reason the team was so inconsistent last year was the big loss of veteran leadership. So what do you do? You cut a respected veteran, who's also the most versatile RB on the team for virtually nothing? Something doesn't add up.

If that's the case, then do it with Drew. As long as he keeps getting paid, it shouldn't matter that it's spread out over a few more years; especially if it helps the team.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Pierre thomas has been the most underrated and under utilized player on this team since reggie Bush infected this team.

furduknfish likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'd tell em fuck off, I'll take s paycut when you get me real weapons and real protection, and a real running back.

tirk likes this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

They can't do that when Brees makes such a large piece of the pie, no money left.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Exactly, you get em on the hook, I'll take the cut.